brad12341
3 Argentium

Open Systems and mainframe on same disks

In the past we have had many small diskgroups on our dmx4.  One for sql logs, one for sql data, one for sql bcvs, one for unisys data, one for unisys bcvs, one for aix standards, one for aix bcvs, one for zos standards, one for zos bcvs and the list goes on.  This created huge problems as data grew and we needed to add maybe 20% new disk each year to each of the different disk groups.  If the SQL logs had striped metas and filling 20 disks then 20 % growth is 4 disks or 2 disks mirrored.  I have a hard time going back to my SQL DBA and telling him that logs for his new data bases need to be striped accross the 2 mirrored disks.  He needs spindle count to support the required throughput. We are not using sym optimizer now and the since the other 20 disks are full the new log files can only sit on the new disks.  This is not acceptable.

So we made a change on our last disk purchase to get out of this management nightmare.  Instead of adding a few disks to each disk group every year for growth, we made a huge purchase of 480 disks.  We put all this disks in one disk group.  This gives us a great spindle spread.  When I lay out the sql data and sql logs it is very easy to make sure they are not on the same disks.  VMware, Exchange, AIX, Unisys and even Mainframe data will sit on the same 480 disks.  A single disks may have devices from many different OSs on it.

Here is my question.  As long as we have this great spindle spread; is there any issue with open systems data being on the same disk as mainframe data? Performance issues, management issues etc.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yaminikishore1
1 Copper

Re: Open Systems and mainframe on same disks

There will not be any issues with open systems data being on the same disk as mainframe data. This will be managed by Enguinity.

There will not be any Performance degradation or Management issues.

Highlighted
Nollaig1
3 Argentium

Re: Open Systems and mainframe on same disks

Hello,

Just from the host SAN connectivity side to ensure the required  bit settings are set per  HBA per OS on each FA..

But you probably already have that as the systems are currently connected.

The Connectivity guides are available on powerlink at Support -> Tech Doc and Adviseries -> Host Connectivity Guides.

Regards,

Nollaig