Highlighted
desimus
2 Iron

RE and RA ports

Jump to solution

Can anyone advise if the only difference between an RA and an RE port, is the SFP that is installed?  I need to migrate data from a DMX3 to a VMAX, and was hoping to do so with SRDF.  I have 2 free RE ports on my DMX and 2 free RF ports on my VMAX, I already run async srdf between two sites, so the only piece missing is the port connectity.  Since I can't convert an FA to RF without a bin change in a DMX, I was hoping maybe I would be able to simply swap the SFP on the RE end and it would automatically change to an RF port instead.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  If not, does anyone have any other suggestions that I may not have thought about?  They arrays would be connected via brocade switches, I was told a direct connect method would not be possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Shawn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertDudley
3 Argentium

Re: RE and RA ports

Jump to solution

You cannot simply swap out the SFP and have the port type change.  An RF is a fiber director converted to be an RDF port, it uses the fiber protocol.  An RE is GigE so it uses TCIP and has an IP address assigned to it.  If you want to convert them you will need hardware and EMC to do it. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertDudley
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

You cannot simply swap out the SFP and have the port type change.  An RF is a fiber director converted to be an RDF port, it uses the fiber protocol.  An RE is GigE so it uses TCIP and has an IP address assigned to it.  If you want to convert them you will need hardware and EMC to do it. 

0 Kudos
Amita_Wasson
1 Copper

Jump to solution

You would need a bin change for RE>RF conversion as well.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

i thought it was not longer the case in 76, customer can change RE to RF themselves ?

0 Kudos
MelbSteve
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Dynamox,

5876 code allows you to convert a FA processor to a RF processor. The RE port mentioned is an Ethernet port and as you would know uses a different port IO module. So this would be a bin file change to convert to a FA/RF port.

For the IO module layout please check the product guide.

Steve

RobertDudley
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

you can convert an FA to an RF (fiber to fiber RDF) not Fiber to GigE (RF to RE) as MelbSteve said above.

dynamox
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

ahh..an ethernet port, Thanks

0 Kudos
desimus
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thank you all for the input, I figured it wouldn't be as simple as swapping out an SFP, that would be too easy.  I was aware of the FA <-> RF conversion in 5876, I guess my thought was that an SFP swap would be easier and quicker if possible.  Might be a stupid question, but is 5876 supported on DMX3, or is that a VMAX microcode only?

0 Kudos
RobertDudley
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

VMAX only.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

Vmax only