Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2011 12:00

Remove an R1 device from a clone and SRDF/A relationship

I have an SRDF/A relationship between an R1 and R2 device.  The R1 is also a target device for clone.  Now business requirements have changed, and I do not need to replicate the R1 anymore but is does need to remain a target for the clone.

Product Model = VMAX-1

Microcode Version 5874

How can this be done?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 13:00

i think i got it now

1) suspend srdf pair using device file, file looks like this:

303C 1FD2

symrdf -f file.txt suspend -sid 123 -rdfg -cons_exempt

2) delete rdf pair

symrdf -f file.txt deletepair -sid 123 -rdfg

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i do not have as much experience with SRDF/A as i have with SRDF/S but something tells me that SRDF/A session consistency will not allow you to modify only one device in SRDF/A group ..making you have to move that pair to another RDFG group and then destroying that relationship. Try to split and deletepair with a file first ..if that does not work you will need to move those two devices to another group. Or you could switch the whole SRDF group to adaptive copy disk mode and then you could deletepair easily. You just have to understand that you lose your DR copy consistency when you run in acp mode ..but it will only take a few minutes to delete that relationship so may not be a big deal.

40 Posts

Dynamox,

Thank you for the quick response. I should have added that the device is part of a larger SRDF device group that needs to continue replicating. Can I just delete the device pair using a file and will that leave the rest of the devices in the group unaffected?

Regards,

Shannon

40 Posts

Dynamox,

Thank you for the quick response.  I should have addedd that the device is part of a larger SRDF device group that needs to continue replicating.  Can I just delete the device pair using a file and will that leave the rest of the devices in the group unaffected?

Regards,

Shannon

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

split SRDF between source and target and deletepair.

symrdf split -g -sid 123

symrdf deletepair -g -sid 123

40 Posts

Thank You I will look at that option.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

also take a look at "-cons_exempt" option

For an SRDF group supporting an active SRDF/A session, allows devices to be added, removed, or
suspended without affecting the state of the SRDF/A session or requiring that other devices in the session be
suspended in order to perform the control operation.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2011 06:00

please do

40 Posts

It let me delete the pair, but now when I query the device group I get the following error

symrdf -g SECMKT11 query

Device group 'SECMKT11' is invalid.

40 Posts

Thank You Dynamox,

I am trying it now, will let you know the results.

Shannon

40 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 07:00

I exported the device group and re-imported it after editing out the devices that no longer need to be in it. It looks like it is working fine. I appreciate the quick response from you and especially the correct answer. Points are on the way.

Respectfully

Shannon

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2011 07:00

ah that's right, having non R1 devices on R1 device group essentially invalidated that group. I think running "symld -g remove DEV005 -force" would have worked too. Glad it worked out for you.

No Events found!