Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2010 13:00

SRDF Operations Steps

Can anybody provide SRDF operation steps using screenshots of with taking an example of two devices to be replicated.

Bharath

14 Posts

April 21st, 2010 09:00

There are two SRDF types: static and dynamic.
Static SRDF is implementing by bin-file creation. Dynamic SRDF you can create any time by you self.
And static SRDF actually is not used at all now, except specific implementatoins (as Celerra).
For dynamic SRDF at first you must enable it at the array level and do some configuration in the bin-file.
Then you must create dynamic srdf group on srdf directors with commands like:
symrdf addgrp -label -rdfg
      -sid -dir -remote_rdfg
      -remote_sid -remote_dir
      [-noprompt] [-i ] [-c ]
      [[-fibre] | [-gige] | [-farpoint]]
      [-link_domino] [-remote_link_domino]
      [-auto_link_recovery] [-remote_auto_link_recovery]
      [-link_limbo ] [-rem_link_limbo ]
symrdf modifygrp <-add | -remove>
      <-rdfg | -label >
      -sid [-dir ] [-remote_dir ]
      [-noprompt] [-i ] [-c ] [-star]
symrdf removegrp -sid
      <-rdfg | -label >
      [-noprompt] [-i ] [-c ] [-star]
Then you can create association between source and target devices by creating device file with this format:
and by implemnting of command:
symrdf -file -sid -rdfg
      [-bypass] [-noprompt] [-i ] [-c ]
      [-v|-noecho] [-force] [-symforce]
    createpair -type
       <-invalidate [-nowd] | -establish | -restore>
       [-rdf_mode ]
       [-g ] [-remote] [-cons_exempt]
Then you can use commands from Sanjit Achary posts.

This is for SRDF/S. SRDF/A is some more complex.

45 Posts

April 7th, 2010 06:00

Hey Bharath!!

Please specify the kind of SRDF & type of operation that you want to perform...

Sanjit Kumar Achary

29 Posts

April 7th, 2010 07:00

SRDF/S, SRDF/A, between two DMX storage arrays

56 Posts

April 15th, 2010 21:00

Hi,

Following are some typical steps for SRDF/S operations. I hope it will helpful to you.

To get the details, please refer "SRDF Control Operations Guide" attached. Its an excellent handbook.

Display info. about R1 and R2 devices

# symrdf list

# symdev list R1

# symdev list R2

Create device group & add devices into it

# symdg create -type

# symld -g -sid XXXX add dev

# symdg show show

Querying & listing device group & devices

# symrdf -g query

# symcfg list

# symdev show

# symcfg list -ra all   ( displays RLD info. by reaching symm units one or two hops away)

SPLIT

# symrdf -g -noprompt split

ESTABLISH

# symrdf -g -noprompt establish

RESTORE

# symrdf -g -noprompt restore

FAILOVER

# symrdf -g -noprompt failover

UPDATE

# symrdf -g -noprompt update

1 Attachment

546 Posts

April 16th, 2010 04:00

Wow Sanjay that paper is really, really old! I haven't been deep into SAN myself for about 3 years now (started working more on the network management side), but I would imagine that some of those commands may be outdated. (SAN guys help me out?).

Your best bet is always to go to Powerlink for the most up-to-date documentation.

Just a reminder to everyone - as long as these technical questions aren't talking about production environments, its ok to have them here. If the threads start getting to specific to actual environments, its really better to have the conversation over in the EMC Support Forums.

Also, I'm moving this thread up to the main Proven Professional community. The Advisor section is really more for getting advice on the certification exams, courses to take, etc.

Thanks!

-Gina

546 Posts

April 16th, 2010 07:00

Thanks for posting the link to the doc in Powerlink!

Where do you work?

56 Posts

April 16th, 2010 07:00

Yeah.. may be some of the commands are out dated... still most are working fine ... I am using them in my work.

However, the recent document is available @ Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ S ~ Documentation > Solutions Enabler > v7.1.x

56 Posts

April 16th, 2010 11:00

Hello Gina,

I am working @ TCS, India as Storage Consultant (EMC Storage)

546 Posts

April 19th, 2010 03:00

Sanjit that is great. I'm happy that you have found the community!

29 Posts

April 20th, 2010 09:00

Once we create a Device Group, Add devices to device group, Set Mode on the local & remote machine. How does the system know that it has to transfer data to a particular devices in the Device Groups.?

Do we have to specify any relationship b/w R1(newsrcdg) & R2(newtgtdg) device group?

Regards

Bharath Kotla

56 Posts

April 20th, 2010 21:00

Hello Bharath,

The pairing relationship is defined at the device file level.

With the symrdf -file command, you can perform RDF control operations on RDF
devices listed in the specified device file. The control operations (arguments) have
options which allow flexibility in controlling the RDF pairs.

The device file (-file) option directs the specified operation in the symrdf

command to a device file.

The device file contains device pairs (SymDevnames) listing

a pair for each line.

Device files can include comment lines that begin with the pound

sign (#).

The following example illustrates the file format, which specifies three

device pairs:

00A1 0103

00A2 0104

#00A3 0105 (To be reinstalled later)

00B1 0106

Any suggestion/comment is much appreciated.

Thank you

Sanjit Achary

29 Posts

April 21st, 2010 06:00

But it looks like in your earlier posting of SRDF steps you haven't introduced any command with the file option. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thank You

Bharath

546 Posts

Hi guys -

I'm going to move this over to the Support Forums as well. It is great how everyone is contributing, thanks so much!

One thing to be aware of: you need a very thorough understanding of what these commands do, and what the unintended consequences of running a certain command with a certain flag will be on your storage environment. It is possible to use these commands incorrectly, and the results of that could be very, very bad.

Managing a storage array is something you really must have formal training on, especially when you are first starting out!

So, I'm going to move this over to the support forums where our services folks can help you all keep this converstation going!

-Gina

14 Posts

More information you can find in Solutions Enabler Symmetrix SRDF Family CLI 7.1 Product Guide :

Powerlink.emc.com > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ S ~ Documentation > Solutions Enabler > v7.1.x as was written previosly.

29 Posts

April 21st, 2010 13:00

Thanks Alexey Yakovenko,

Now I got an idea how to pairup devices, create Dynamic Groups and perform Dynamic SRDF operations.

Once again thanks to EMC Community.  If anybody could be more explain more by taking an example that would be great.

Thank You

Bharath

No Events found!