anoopcr
2 Iron

SRDF help needed

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am planning to move few devices from 1 srdf group to the other.Currently all devices are in async mode and in consistent state.

I tried to execute the below command after splitting up the replication.(devices are in split status now)

symrdf -sid 4757 -rdfg 3 -file rdf.txt movepair -new_rdfg 4

But I am getting the below error:

The device does not have a valid RDF Consistency state for this operation

I found writes are happedning to the R1 devices.I tried to delete the pair also.getting same error.Any suggestion to resolve this issue.

Thanks in Advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnToner1
1 Nickel

Re: SRDF help needed

Jump to solution

Try a 'symrdf -sid 4757 -rdfg 3 -file rdf.txt disable' command first, then re-try your commands.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JohnToner1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Try a 'symrdf -sid 4757 -rdfg 3 -file rdf.txt disable' command first, then re-try your commands.

0 Kudos
anoopcr
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If I issue symrdf -sid 4757 -rdfg 3 -file rdf.txt disable, will it create any production issue ?

0 Kudos
JohnToner1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

No. This just disables the consistency protection for the SRDF/A pairs.

Consistency protection is used for SRDF/A devices. When enabled, if a single R1 device in the RA group is unable to send its data to the R2, it drops entire group so it maintains a consistency copy on the R2 side.

To re-enable consistency protection, you would just issue the 'symrdf enable' command once your movepair operation is completed.

0 Kudos
sauravrohilla
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Alternatively, you can use cons_exempt flag while doing the move pair or the deletepair on the consistency enabled ra group.

0 Kudos
anoopcr
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi John,

It worked.Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
dkakljkml
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

hello Subash,

I have some issue understanding the use of symrdf enable in single session setup. I have one source and target connection to each other with Async mode . What scenario do you think enabling symrdf enable on the Async group will help. I dont see any possibility of a single lun going bad in the Vmax world with thin pool . Can you help me to understand how enabling consistency will benefit

0 Kudos
dkakljkml
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have some issue understanding the use of symrdf enable in single session setup. I have one source and target connection to each other with Async mode . What scenario do you think enabling symrdf enable on the Async group will help. I dont see any possibility of a single lun going bad in the Vmax world with thin pool . Can you help me to understand how enabling consistency will benefit

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

dkakljkml,

How would do you feel that single source and target replication session going to be out of consistent state?

John Toner has given the answer in the third reply...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dkakljkml
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Archiperi,

As I mentioned earlier, i don't see a scenario where a device will go bad in the RA group . If we where using raid groups , yes in that case there is possibility of a device going bad , but with virtual providing I don't see that case. further I did some testing , I disabled one of the device ( on the source side) in the ra group with asyn mode and consistency enabled on the group, still after doing this it didn't drop the session.

0 Kudos