Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2007 01:00

SymOptimizer

Hello,

Someone can give me the prerequisite to use Symoptimizer ?
Thank's

113 Posts

September 18th, 2007 08:00

pixel,

Stefano is correct.

I will add, usually the size of the DRV's are of the largest in the Symmetrix. What I mean is if you have devices that are of 1800, 2100, and 2400 size for instance, the DRV's will be of the 2400 size so that any device that is being Optimized will fit. Also, depending the total number if devices that are in the Symmetrix, that will constitute the number of DRV's.

Optimizer is ran on a Symmetrix that is attached to an Open Systems type Hosts and not Mainframe. Mainframe has its own Work Load Manager and Global DASD Allocation programs that analyze and do this type of work at the LPAR level.

A DRV is a Dynamic Re-allocation volume.

From what I can see today, the 'Symmetrix Optimizer' document is an internal use type one only. But the 'Symmetrix Optimizer' documents for ControlCenter, Solutions Enabler and CLI are Authored by Global Services and are available via Powerlink.

Hope that this is a helpful addition to Stefano's reply answer.

Michael

2.8K Posts

September 17th, 2007 01:00

AFAIK there are three requirements ..

1) obviously a license ;-)
2) DRV devices (used while moving your data in the backend)
3) the devices to be optimized must have a free mirror position.

The license is the easiest part .. simply ask your TC or AM and he/she will be glad to sell you a license :-)
The DRV devices are -special purpose- devices that Optimizer will use to protect your data and move the "slices" that hosts your data in the backend. You need to create at least 2 DRV devices. And you need different DRV devices for differend device sizes. If you have devices 18608 and 18414 cyls in size, you'll need DRV devices of 18608 and 18414 cyls.
Since Optimizer will use a mirror position, please be sure NOT to have 4-way-mir, 3-way-mir with srdf OR bcv established, 2-way-mir with srdf AND bcv, raid devices with srdf and bcv... Just to make some examples.

There is another "prerequisite" .. the box must be free of SEL (symmetrix external lock) .. but usually this isn't a problem.

14 Posts

September 24th, 2007 05:00

Do the DRV must be configured in Raid 1 ?

2.8K Posts

September 24th, 2007 05:00

No .. DRV devices must be created as ... DRV devices :-)

DRV devices do not need protection since they are used as an additional protection to the existing devices.

-s-

2.8K Posts

September 24th, 2007 06:00

AFAIK DRV needs to be the same size of the devices you want to optimize ..

They are different from hotspares .. you can use a 146gb hotspare when a 73gb disk fails .. But you need DRV devices of the SAME size of the devices you want to move in the backend.

This is what I understand from the manuals, correct me if I'm wrong.

2.8K Posts

September 24th, 2007 06:00

Here is a script I've recentyl ran to create some DRV devices...

create dev count=6, emulation=fba, config=drv, size=18608;
create dev count=6, emulation=fba, config=drv, size=20000;

-s-

14 Posts

September 24th, 2007 08:00

hi, some can help me ; here's the message :

(root:root) / # symoptmz -sid xxx -f emc_swap1 prepare
Processing Command file : emc_swap1
PREVIEW ..............................Started.
PREVIEW ..............................Done.
PREPARE ..............................Started.

Optimizer Invalid Input Value:
Failed to validate the manual swap list:
Mirror protection lowered!
The target disk 16b:C06 is not suitable for the source hyper, 01DE M1.

SymNewOptmzrSwapDefStart() has already been called. Any defined swaps must be committed or cleared before a new swap can be started

SymNewOptmzrSwapDefStart() has already been called. Any defined swaps must be committed or cleared before a new swap can be started

PREPARE ..............................Not Done.

2.8K Posts

September 24th, 2007 23:00

We are slowly but constantly moving OT .. Maybe it's better to open a new thread since this one was already marked as "answered"...

However the message you've got simply means that you are trying to move a mirror of your device to the wrong place. The swap you are trying to commit will reduce the protection of your device since you will have, at the end of the swap, a 2-way-mir device BUT the two mirrors will share something in the backend. This means that if the shared "something" fails, your volume will be unavailable.

I think it's safer to swap devices on the same DA. If you follow this rule it's easier NOT to make damages :-)

14 Posts

September 25th, 2007 00:00

hello ,

here's the script I run :

set swap_list {1C,C,4,25} with {16B,C,6,35};
set swap_list {16B,C,4,31} with {16A,D,4,35};
set swap_list {16B,C,4,27} with {16A,D,8,34};

2.8K Posts

September 25th, 2007 01:00

It's impossible, from the bare script, to understand what's wrong. Even knowing the actual binfile it may be impossible for me to tell you what's wrong. Simply trust the Service Processor and skip the first swap ;-) .. Maybe the other 2 swaps will work.
Modify your script, remove the first swap and try again .. :-)

November 2nd, 2007 12:00

Late to this thread, do the DRV devices only have to match the hyper sizes? Or do I need two DRV devices that match my meta volume sizes?

For example, I have 8-way metavolumes that I want to optimize. Do my DRV devices just have to match the hyper sizes (8.43GB) or do they have to match the larger meta volume (67.43GB)?

2.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2007 13:00

Metavolumes are made of single volumes .. When you work with optimizer you work on single hypers, even when they are part of a bigger meta. From optimizer point of view, meta simply do not exist :-)

113 Posts

November 2nd, 2007 13:00

pixel,

Did Stefano's suggestion work for you or did you run one at a time, etc?
That may be the link or issue. If devices are linked or dependent on each other to perform the next operation or so, time or a wait may be needed. Just checking in with your findings.

Michael

2.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2007 14:00

hello ,

here's the script I run :

set swap_list {1C,C,4,25} with {16B,C,6,35};
set swap_list {16B,C,4,31} with {16A,D,4,35};
set swap_list {16B,C,4,27} with {16A,D,8,34};

The right sintax is with all the swaps on a single line for every script you run ..

In your case

set swap_list {1C,C,4,25} with {16B,C,6,35}, {16B,C,4,31} with {16A,D,4,35}, {16B,C,4,27} with {16A,D,8,34};

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 8th, 2007 07:00

I wanted to add to this for future reference:
beside the requirements above SymmOptimizer will also need to be activated on the Symmetrix service processor, and at Enginuity 5772 will require the service processor be restarted.
No Events found!