Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2012 15:00

Symmetrix SRDF setup and Testing

Hi All,

I am setting up SRDF/A between Primary and DR Sites.  We would be creating dynamic RA groups. How do we set up zoning? Do we zone WWPN of local RA director port to WWPN of remote RA Director Port or do we zone to RA director WWN number instead of WWPN of port number.

Do we need to map R1/R2 devices to regular FA ports or RA director ports? If i map R1 and R2 devices to regular FA port and not RA Director ports, then how will the RA director talk to device.

Do we need to mask R1 to remote RA director port (or director itself) and R2 devices to remote RA director ports(or Director itself) also in addition to masking it to windows Host HBA at primary and DR sites?

Also, when working with dynamic RA groups, in case of DR, how can i run symrdf failover command on primary site? Can it be run on DR site as well using the same device group name that was created when using symrdf create file command.

Your help is appriciated. Thanks once again.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2012 18:00

you need to zone RA WWN

symcfg list -sid 123 -dir ALL -v | egrep "RDF-R1|WWN Node Name                  :"

I assume your R1 devices are already mapped and masked to your production hosts, but as far as RDF is concerned ..you don't need to map or mask anything. Once zoning is done you will need to create RDF groups ..let me know if you need help with that.

859 Posts

July 15th, 2012 18:00

1) How do we set up zoning? Dynamox had already replied to this.

2)Do we need to map R1/R2 devices to regular FA ports or RA director ports? You need to map R1/R2 to the FA ports (its not a compulsion but I would recommend it otherwise some of SRDF states wont show up properly like split will show failover if the devices are not mapped)

3) If i map R1 and R2 devices to regular FA port and not RA Director ports, then how will the RA director talk to device? A device when part of SRDF can send data to RA and this is decided by RDFG group.

4) Do we need to mask R1 to remote RA director port (or director itself) and R2 devices to remote RA director ports(or Director itself) also in addition to masking it to windows Host HBA at primary and DR sites? All you need to do is mask R1 to the FAs on the Primary site and mask R2 devices to the FAs of the secondary site.

5) Also, when working with dynamic RA groups, in case of DR, how can i run symrdf failover command on primary site? Can it be run on DR site as well using the same device group name that was created when using symrdf create file command. Using the device group created on the primary site, you can issue symrdf -g failover and this command can also be run the DR provided you have created the device group there also.

Go through the SRDF product guide to understand it better.

regards,

Saurabh

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 15th, 2012 19:00

why would you want to mask R2 ? Keep them unmask/unmap unless there is a real need to use them.

July 16th, 2012 13:00

Thanks a lot...both of you

Just one point, i would mask R2 to production host on DR side not to FA and if DR happens the R2 will be read/write enabled and can be used by DR production host.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2012 13:00

in order for host to see a device, it needs to be mapped and masked.

No Events found!