Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2015 20:00

Symmetrix arrays - SYMCLI - Hardware failure

Hi everybody!

I am looking for a way to display/check hardware failures using symcli commands for VMAX/DMX arrays? Is that possible?

- Why?

- Because I am working as a resident on a customer that do not want to implement any other "call home" method than analogic phone/modem line to report hardware failure, but due to a recent moving of his Datacenter customer is not able to do so yet (there is not any analogic line available from the housing provider) so I am wondering if there is a way to realize hardware failures using SYMCLI to make a simple script for reporting, from a UNIX host using crontab feature, and send the output to my email address in order to avoid constantly check the health state of these arrays using, for example, Control Center (unfortunately it was unconfigured during some activities related with the movement mentioned before).

Thanks in advance for your answers/suggestions/ideas.

27 Posts

November 25th, 2015 03:00

It is possible with little scripting skills, but you can understand the health of your array by running the below commands.

#symdisk -sid <###> list -failed  ==> To list the failed disks

#symcfg -sid <###> list -env_data -service_state notnormal -v ==> To list the environmental failures

#symcfg -sid <###> list -dir all | grep -vi Online ==> To list the directors that are not Online

#symevent -sid <###> list -fatal -start MM/DD ==> To list the fatal events recorded in your array

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 25th, 2015 07:00

also you might want to remind your customer it's year 2015 and ESRS is free.

November 28th, 2015 20:00

Hi Diego,

I am not sure you can log in to symmwin .if you are able to log in symmwin and if you have access to that level then if you run the health check ,that log will be saved in cdrive with date.it is a .txt file even you can read and find out if there any issue or not.or red box appeared instead of green you can treat symm  has some issue.But according to your question you want to know only hardware failure easy way is run health check and read the health check report .You your self  can understand  for any error .

thanks -@rif

465 Posts

November 29th, 2015 14:00

You can run a health check from Unishpere, per the online help.

July 13th, 2016 15:00

Fortunately, after some pressure customer go ahead with ESRS implementation. ;-)

No Events found!