Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2011 11:00

Symstat command

Hi

I am collecting the performance data using symstat comand. I need to collect performance data for all the devices and ports for every five minutes(300 second). what command option i need to use so that i can get the performace data for symdevices and ports for every five minutes(300 second).

Can I use the below comand

Symdevices:( every three hundred seconds ,count 1 for all the devices in symmetrix box)

symstat -sid 6163 -i 300 -c 1  -v

Port:( every three hundred seconds ,count 1 for all the ports in symmetrix box)

symstat -i 300 -c 1 -type PORT -sid 0256 -dir ALL -port ALL

Can you please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Naren

1.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 12:00

You would be MUCH better off collecting STP data at 5 minute intervals which would give you those metrics and more.

1.3K Posts

On any host with solutions enabler there is a STP daemon you can start.

You can start it with the command "stordaemon start storstpd"

You can show the options with the command "stordaemon show storstpd"

The CLI manuals should have details on the stordaemon storstpd options

You will need the performance mananger viewer from ECC or get the STP Navigator program from your EMC team.

1 Attachment

220 Posts

Hi Quincy

Thanks for your reply. Can you please expain in detail with some exmaples. what STP means?. Can you please point to any documents.. I know only symstat commands..

Thanks

naren

220 Posts

August 1st, 2011 14:00

Hi Quincy

Thanks for your reply.

1. Is performance mananger viewer from ECC or  STP Navigator program is must to view data from stordaemon deamon.

2. Is there is any CLI which i can use to retrieve data from stordaemon directly without depending on performance manager viewer or STP navigator.

Thanks

Naren

220 Posts

August 1st, 2011 16:00

Hi Quincy

We are planning to parse the TTP file because we doing some preprocessing to generate custom reports. Can you point out any documents about how to generate TTP file and how to generate specific TTP file( for example Port Performance, Symdev performance). Do you have any samples of TTP file. Can you please attach it if you have any.

Thanks

naren

1.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 16:00

The output from the STP daemon is a zipped TTP file which is a text file.  It is possible to parse the TTP file, but I never do that since viewing the stats in STP navigator is so easy.

1.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 17:00

STP daemon will create ttp files.

I have attached a zipped TTP file.

1 Attachment

220 Posts

August 1st, 2011 18:00

Hi Quincy

Thanks for the attachment. Can you please point out some documents how to generate and intrepret the data in the TTP files.

Thanks

Naren

1.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 19:00

I've already attached a document that shows the commands to start, configure and stop the daemon.

I'm not sure of any documents on how to interpret the data.  Again Performance Manager/STP navigator is the easiest way, it can export to excel  How were you going to interpret the symstat commands?

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you do go the symstat method, I would recommend using an FA CPU that isn't being used heavily.  The syscall traffic from lots of symstat commands could cause performance issues.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 1st, 2011 19:00

look into SPA as well ...much cheaper alternative to ECC/Performance Manager

Message was edited by: dynamox

220 Posts

August 1st, 2011 23:00

Hi Quincy

1. Can you please elobrate  what do you mean by using an FA CPU that isn't being used heavily.

2. Symstat command would cause performance issue for symmetrix?

Thanks for your prompt reply and helping me to find the solution.

Naren

220 Posts

August 1st, 2011 23:00

Hi Dynamox

What do you mean by SPA.. Is it storage performance analyzer?

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 00:00

1) Any FA doing several thousand IOS/sec.

2) Syscalls can cause performance issues on Symmetrix when there are a lot of them.  Symmstat was never designed to run multiple instances for a long time.  It was designed for short term views into specific counters. 

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 00:00

Yes, SPA=Storage performance analyzer, however I don't think there is a way to export SPA to a text file.

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 03:00

SPA = Symmetrix Performance Analyzer

No Events found!