Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2017 21:00

Testing recovery plans using EMC TimeFinder/Clone

Hi All,

Client have the requirement to use TimeFinder/Clone to test recovery plans using SRM and SRA. The Timefinder clone (C Copy) should be triggered using SRA. That is why the EMC Solution Enabler is installed (is this correct?).

I have gone through the technical document and page no 180 mentioned the procedure. However, I do not understand. Can you please give the step by steps?

https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/technical-documentation/h10553-sra-vmware-tb.pdf

123 Posts

September 21st, 2017 03:00

I'm not sure what you are looking for seeing as page 180 actually has the steps including the XML file configuration, but I'll give you the quick overview from the beginning so there is no confusion.  SRM is installed at 2 different sites on Windows and associated with 2 different vCenters. Solutions Enabler is then installed on both those SRM servers. Once this is complete the SRDF SRA can be installed on both servers.  Next you either present Gatekeepers to the Solutions Enabler on the SRM server (one site sees the production array the other the DR array) or you create new SE installs elsewhere and use them with the SRA by presenting Gatekeepers.  The former is the easiest configuration to use.  So now let's assume you've done all this, the SRA has discovered the proper arrays and you see the pairs like page 83 in the TechBook.  In order to run test failover you need device targets for all your R2s.  So as an example let's say you have 1 RDF pair R1_01 and R2_02 replicating between site A and B. To run the test you will need a regular device (TDEV) that is the exact same size as R2_02 presented to the site B hosts.  We'll call this device TDEV_03.  Put TDEV_03 in the same storage group as R2_02 (or use a new storage group and masking view of your choice).

Now you are almost ready for the test.  One more configuration step is needed and that is a device or composite group on each Solutions Enabler site - one will have the R1_01 device and the other the R2_02 device (page 94 TechBook).  You do not include any other devices.  Now what the SRA will do is during the test it will take a TF/Clone of the R2_02 device using TDEV_03 as the target.  It will use the DR Solutions Enabler to do this.  It will then hand back control to VMware to re-signature, mount, bring up VMs, etc.  How does the SRA know what to use as a target device?  Well the XML file on page 182.  You will make yours look like exactly like that one and have it include whatever pairs you have for R2 and TDEV.  In my example I would have pairs R2_02 with TDEV_03 and my array would be site B.  That's it.  Obviously the TechBook has more detail if you require per my page references.

11 Posts

September 21st, 2017 09:00

In the environment Every thing I have and given plan to client however, client is not agree with the plan. they said that is not the correct concept. We need to get the concept correct in order to create the Time finder Clone. I have attached the below implementation plan and in the plan 4 to 7 have questions, why 4 to 7 steps need to do from storage even SRA and EMC SE is there. The Time finder clone (C Copy) should be triggered using SRA. That is why the EMC Solution Enabler is installed (is this correct?). Can you please review this Plan is it correct or not. if not correct please help me on this how to get the correct order to implement this.

------------------Implementation Plan---------------------------------------------------

1. Create 7 X 2 TB device, add into the Storage pools and map to the ESX host :DR VMAX

2. Create a Regular Device Group.

3. Add the Replicated Volumes R2s and Clone Volume devices to device group.

4. Create Clone Session between Replicated volumes R2s and Clones

5. Activate the session between R2 and Clones

6. Check the status of copy operation. Copy takes time and will be in copyinprog state

7. Break the session is between R2 and Cloned copy. Replication between R1 and R2 will not be stopped

8. Configure the Global option file (EmcSrdfSraGlobalOptions.xml) Line No. 6 need to modify and change the statement from NO to YES. (YES) desired settings.

9. Configure the (EmcSrdfSraTestFailoverConfig.xml)file with the appropriate source/target pairs.

10. Configure the masking control(EmcSrdfSraDeviceMaskingControl.xml) file with desired settings.In this EmcSrdfSraDeviceMaskingControl.xml file we will update the Array Id in the Array Line and update storage group name in the storage group line and Device List we can give the Device Id.

11. In the vSphere Web Client, select Site Recovery>Recovery Plans,  and click on Test recovery plan to start the test recovery.

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 00:00

Now the Plan is change. Customer say no need to create timefinder clone from storage. Customer said just create new device and added to storage group on DR storage. Then we can modify the EMC SRA xml file and in the xml file give all source and target devices in the xml and then we can ran the test recovery from SRM. I don't know how SRM will create new copy from R2 device using new device and create clone and mount datastore to DR site.

123 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 03:00

Their first implementation plan is wrong - most steps are unneeded.  I thought I was very clear in the explanation (not to mention the 500-page TechBook which lays this out in excruciating detail).  The SRA creates the clone period.  The only thing the customer needs to do is create the device/cg groups, add the TDEV target to a masking view to the DR hosts, update the XML file as I explained, and then run the test.  SRM doesn't do anything related to the array.  The SRA does all the storage actions, SRM simply coordinates between its work (re-signature, mounting, bring up VMs) and the SRA's work (taking clone).

Please advise customer to first test without involving the masking control capability (step 10).  They are confusing two different functionalities and the test won't work.

If the customer needs videos or more explanations tell them to check the blog:  http://drewtonnesen.wordpress.com

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 04:00

Thanks Drew to guide me right way. So in this case I need to only update the EmcSrdfSraGlobalOption.xml and EmcSrdfSratestfailover.xml file and then ran the test recovery right?

123 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 05:00

There is no reason to change the EmcSrdfSraGlobalOptions.xml file.  The default parameters are perfectly fine for the test they want to run.

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 06:00

Thanks Drew. I will only change the EmcSrdfSraTestFailoverConfig.xml file and ran the test recovery. I will update if the change going successful.

11 Posts

October 21st, 2017 06:00

Test recovery plan implemented successfully.

No Events found!