Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2011 07:00

The function can not be performed since the STD device is already paired with a Dynamic RDF device

Hi I have :

18- way meta for a 2-way STD devices of 4GB symdevs.

Now, this is SRDFed to R2 device.

Now I have been asked to create 3 BCV Timefinder /Mirror for Source R1 devices.   I have created and synced one BCV but when trying to establish second pair i get error : -

"The function can not be performed since the STD device is already paired with a Dynamic RDF device"

Can you let me know what can be the issue. Enginuity used 5771. DMX3.

Thanks in advance.

50 Posts

No they are in sync.   I wanna have 3 BCV to R1 devices and then rotate them every 2 hours.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you need to split them, cant' have both pairs established at the same time.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

is the original BCV pair split ?

50 Posts

April 13th, 2011 08:00

Dynamox, Thanks a lot, it did worked but still it won't solve my problem with 3 BCV for 1 single 2-way mirror STD R1 device.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 13th, 2011 10:00

oop..yes, typo.

You can only have one BCV established at the same time, the other 15 have to be in split state. This still acomplishes what you want to do, here is note from TimeFinder guide:

4-13-2011 1-27-34 PM.png

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

why not ? You can have up to 16 BCVs associated with one STD device, they just can be established at the same time.

50 Posts

I think you wanted to say "CAN'T be established at the same time " ?

Well I am using symmir commands on 5771.

So using the Timefinder Mirror , how many BCV's I can establish at the same time??

Also wondering will it help if I use timefinder clone (symclone) and that way I can have 16BCV to a STDR1 device at the same time ?

thanks.

50 Posts

April 15th, 2011 04:00

Thanks for the answer.

I have just activated it and now its all 100% with State=Copied (it was precopy earlier with 99% and protected tracks... which are new writes i guess)

I created them -precopy -differential option.  Also that PreCopy X has replaced with .

In current state ...I think there is no writes copied to clones now. Is that right ???

If I want the copy process tobe started again... I can simply run the establish command ? .

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

think of activate as "split" in timefinder/mirror. What happens after you issue "activate" depends on how you "created" the session

Message was edited by: dynamox

50 Posts

Quincy thanks,

I have only used so far is symclone -sid xxx -file abc.txt create -precopy -diferential command....and

the state is at 99%... one STD to 3 BCV.

Now , origially query was showing 372 protected tracks at Source Device.  Now after a while its showing 91 protected tracks.

Can this be the reason , what are these protected tracks(checking in pdf as well ).

Kavan

50 Posts

Also , do i still need to activate these clones or establish them ????

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

I created them -precopy -differential option.  Also that PreCopy X has replaced with .

In current state ...I think there is no writes copied to clones now. Is that right ???

as soon as you activate the session, there could be still outstanding writes from source to target that are still copying in the background, but as far as you are concerned, if you activated the session at 8pm, there will be no new writes to clone after that.

50 Posts

Hi dynamox,

Thanks for the response it does make sense.

What i have just found is.... i dropped symmir completey.

Started using symclone .... and now same 3 BCV are TF/Cloned to same STD source with precopy -differential option set.

I think it works better with symclone for me...and they are all established at same time.

only confusing part is ... the copy % is stuck at 99% and state is PreCopy .

1.3K Posts

I'm not sure why your pre-copy is stuck at 99%, but if there are writes to the source devices, they will never really be fully copied until you activate.  You can activate anytime, so if you need the target devices, simply activate them.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 15th, 2011 05:00

If I want the copy process tobe started again... I can simply run the establish command ? .

establish should work, but get into habit of using symclone commands so i would use "recreate -precopy"

No Events found!