Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2012 01:00

Thin pool capacity reporting

Hi all,

Is there a way to get the following information from a Symmetrix VMAX array using symcli (not multiple individual commands but rather a batch file or script):

LUN - Thin pool name - Storage Group - Pool capacity - Bound capacity - Host written capacity - Subscription % - Allocation %

This information is required strictly from a management perspective and for capacity planning and trending.

Please note that we do not have the host agents on ECC and hence we can't use ECC to generate reports from Host perspective.

Many thanks in advance..

Thanks,

SreeHari

56 Posts

September 10th, 2012 13:00

Hi Sree,

If you have FASTvp in use then it wont make sense to add the thin pools names in report for every luns.

As with Fastvp some portion of lun will be in multiple pools . Yeah you can say which pool you bound initially but now it can be different pool where data is being used. For management I think you can prepare a report either via each pool or via Hosts. Means hosts => %in whichever thin pool tht host is using and add what you more specifically want to show them. And specifically for capacity you can give details of the pools and % of space allocated and free now more to use and how much oversubscription done on them.

But may be below can help you for every host info :-

for i in `symaccess -sid xx show MV_name view | awk '{print $1}' | grep -v ':' | grep -i 0`; do echo $i################################; symcfg -sid xx list -thin -pool | grep RAID | awk '{printf "symcfg -sid xx show -pool %s -thin -detail\n",$1}' | sh | egrep "Name|$i"; done

And if your requirement is exactly like you mentioned then you have to write a script using symcli comands.

Regards,

Mrinal Dani

September 22nd, 2012 10:00

Hi Mrinal,

Thanks for the quick reply, but is there a Windows equivalent for the above command? Our environment is entirely based on Windows....

Thanks,

SreeHari

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2012 07:00

can you install cygwin ?

September 24th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Cygwin has been installed, any ideas on how to customize the commands to display the required information from the host and thin pool perspective?

Thanks,

SreeHari

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 25th, 2012 04:00

isn't it what that script supposed to do (that Mrinal posted) ? It gives you that information based on masking view information.

No Events found!