Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 11:00

Timefinder/Clone on VMAX

Hi Everyone,

I am implementing TimeFinder/Clone on one of my server which is provisioned to my vmax. The disks on that host need to be cloned to another host which is also provisioned to same vmax.

Now, I want to know the procedure to implement the clone sessions from SMC.

Please any one help me with this .

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 10th, 2011 11:00

in SMC, click on Help, Contents, Index, Search. Once there search for Timefinder, it should give step by step instructions how to do it in SMC.

24 Posts

February 11th, 2011 09:00

Before we create DG on SMC, what are other steps need to be taken. I tried creating DG on SMC and I provisioned that DG to the target Host. When I go to the target host I can not see the Tdev's there. I might be missing some step some where.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 11th, 2011 10:00

i am not clear, are you trying to provision storage to a host or you are trying to run TimeFinder operations ?

24 Posts

February 11th, 2011 14:00

I have two tdev's which need to be cloned to another host. For that I can go to SMC and create DG and take from there. But after the copy session is done, can I access those clones from target host? I tried to access the devices on target host but I could find them.  For this kind of cloning what are the rules need to be followed? 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 12th, 2011 14:00

there are multiple options for TimeFinder/Clone but regardless of what option you use as soon as you activate the clone, it should be read/write and available to the target host. Are these devices always mounted on the target host and you unmount them before you clone onto them ?  Describe the whole process how you are doing it ..what OS ..etc.

859 Posts

February 12th, 2011 19:00

Hi,

If its Windows 2003, unmount and mount the clone devices to see the data (if you have trouble seeing your data on the clones)

Thanks,

Saurabh

278 Posts

December 28th, 2012 05:00

Hi kittuemc,

create a txt file, add the source and the target devices and the execute the symclone -sid <> -f <> create -precopy -differrential command.

At any time you can execute the symclone -sid <> -f <> activate and the clone devices are ready to be accessed.

Executing the symclone -sid <> -f <> terminate, terminates the session.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 28th, 2012 12:00

original question was for SMC not symcli, also please try not to resurrect almost 2 year old threads.

10 Posts

November 4th, 2013 18:00

Please help me to find this White paper :SYMCLI to Perform TimeFinder Clone Operations (P/N 300-001-382). Thanks in advance.

November 5th, 2013 11:00

Hi

Ashok

Actually is it quite easy, do you have a powerlink user/password?, if so, you won't have any trouble to get what you need into support section, you could also google it, but in spite of, when you google some support info from EMC it "appears" avaible, you are prompt to log in with powerlink user,

Once you are logged you gotta go into support and look for documentation, you will find it.

Regards

10 Posts

November 5th, 2013 12:00

Google does take to any powerlink Link. I have  already tried  on emc powerlink . I  have searched  this document before this posting.

286 Posts

November 5th, 2013 13:00

You can find the Solutions Enabler TimeFinder CLI guide here:

https://support.emc.com/docu46958_Solutions-Enabler-Symmetrix-TimeFinder-Family-CLI--7.6-Product-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

That white paper doesnt exist any more but this guide will tell you everything you need to know. For next time though, create a new thread for your questions so it is easier for others to search through.

November 5th, 2013 13:00

If you have already searched for and didn't find it, probably the part Number is wrong, otherwise I suggest to open a SR(Service Request) - You could pick up Live Chat, and ask to technichal support to look into EMC Database and send if you have mainframe in your system, I could give the document you want, like EMC® MAINFRAME ENABLERS - TIMEFINDER™ CLONE MAINFRAME SNAP FACILITY version 7.5

But if you are talking about open systems and only looking for CLI, you could find something in EMC® SOLUTIONS ENABLER SYMMETRIX® CLI Version 7.3 COMMAND REFERENCE

I hope it helps!

Regards

No Events found!