kittuemc
1 Nickel

Timefinder/Clone on VMAX

Hi Everyone,

I am implementing TimeFinder/Clone on one of my server which is provisioned to my vmax. The disks on that host need to be cloned to another host which is also provisioned to same vmax.

Now, I want to know the procedure to implement the clone sessions from SMC.

Please any one help me with this .

0 Kudos
13 Replies
dynamox
6 Gallium

Re: Timefinder/Clone on VMAX

in SMC, click on Help, Contents, Index, Search. Once there search for Timefinder, it should give step by step instructions how to do it in SMC.

0 Kudos
kittuemc
1 Nickel

Before we create DG on SMC, what are other steps need to be taken. I tried creating DG on SMC and I provisioned that DG to the target Host. When I go to the target host I can not see the Tdev's there. I might be missing some step some where.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

i am not clear, are you trying to provision storage to a host or you are trying to run TimeFinder operations ?

0 Kudos
kittuemc
1 Nickel

I have two tdev's which need to be cloned to another host. For that I can go to SMC and create DG and take from there. But after the copy session is done, can I access those clones from target host? I tried to access the devices on target host but I could find them.  For this kind of cloning what are the rules need to be followed? 

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

there are multiple options for TimeFinder/Clone but regardless of what option you use as soon as you activate the clone, it should be read/write and available to the target host. Are these devices always mounted on the target host and you unmount them before you clone onto them ?  Describe the whole process how you are doing it ..what OS ..etc.

0 Kudos
sauravrohilla
3 Argentium

Hi,

If its Windows 2003, unmount and mount the clone devices to see the data (if you have trouble seeing your data on the clones)

Thanks,

Saurabh

0 Kudos
Zikas
2 Iron

Hi kittuemc,

create a txt file, add the source and the target devices and the execute the symclone -sid <> -f <> create -precopy -differrential command.

At any time you can execute the symclone -sid <> -f <> activate and the clone devices are ready to be accessed.

Executing the symclone -sid <> -f <> terminate, terminates the session.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

original question was for SMC not symcli, also please try not to resurrect almost 2 year old threads.

0 Kudos
ashok_veeta
1 Nickel

Please help me to find this White paper Smiley FrustratedYMCLI to Perform TimeFinder Clone Operations (P/N 300-001-382). Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos