Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2008 19:00

Tracks, stripes - looking for good documentation

Can somebody recommend some good papers that explain things such as tracks, stripes, cylinders and how it relates to DMX/Symmetrix world

Thanks

5.7K Posts

March 8th, 2008 13:00

ROFLMAO

385 Posts

March 7th, 2008 07:00

I wish I knew of a generic paper, but if you check the hardware guide for say the DMX-4 you can find some descriptions of how these all related.

Also keep in mind this answer differs if you are talking about Open Systems (FBA) or Mainframe (CKD) disk structure which are discussed in the documentation.

I hope someone comes-up with a better/easier to digest answer - digging through those guides can be overwhelming.

Here is an excerpt from the DMX-4 Hardware guide:

The channel directors interact with global memory. Therefore, there is no physical meaning to cylinders, tracks, and heads on the Symmetrix logical volume from the front-end point of view. However, Symmetrix systems use a logical geometry definition for their logical volume structure. This geometry is reflected in the mode sense data available to the host.

Symmetrix systems use the following logical volume structure:
◆ Each logical volume has n cylinders
◆ Each cylinder has 15 tracks (heads)
◆ Each track has 128 blocks of 512 bytes

Therefore, a Symmetrix logical volume with n cylinders has a usable block capacity of: n * 15 * 128

n for each volume is defined during Symmetrix configuration.

To calculate the size of the logical volume:

Number of cylinders * heads * blocks * 512
(n * 15 * 128* 512)

2.8K Posts

March 7th, 2008 08:00

I don't want your points !! I won't ever answer your questions ;-)

-s-

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 7th, 2008 09:00

thank you bodnarg ..

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 7th, 2008 09:00

what's wrong with my points ? they are not redeemable in Italy ? Aren't you still working on that kitchen of yours? ;)

5.7K Posts

March 7th, 2008 13:00

I guess American russian points are like "old" money.... they loose value quickly !

Saying that, I remember the time where the italian Lire was worth a lot... NOT. Hey, that rimes ;)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 7th, 2008 20:00

hey ...ain't nothing wrong with American rubles :)
No Events found!