Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2017 07:00

VMAX1 to VMAX3 Open Replicator Questions

Hi Folks,

I have a few questions surrounding the process of using the OR to migrate data between VMAX1 and VMAX3. The production is currently running on VMAX1 and the data need to be migrated to VMAX3

1. Can I use Hot Push?

2. What licenses do I need for HotPush OR? Should I check them on both arrays or just on the Production array?

3. Can VMAX 1 in this instance be the "Control Array"?

4. Zoning !!!!

a. Get the list of ALL FA's of all the control devices and the remote devices and zone them on the SAN

b. Discover the arrays using the "symsan" command

5. Masking -- Mask all the remote devices on VMAX3 to controlling FA's using the symaccess command on VMAX3

6. Make sure the remote devices are not accessed by any hosts during the migration

7. Create the OR sessions using a file and symrcopy command and activate it.

Please let me know of any mistakes or anything that I might have overlooked.

Thank you,

Sumanth

226 Posts

March 1st, 2017 08:00

Sure thing Sumanth.

What document specifically are you seeing the note about hot pull requiring a license? You do not need a license for hot pull on VMAX3, but you do need a license for hot push on VMAX1.

And yes, with a hot pull you essentially do the following:

- Set up zoning/masking

- Create Open Replicator sessions

- Shutdown production

- Activate Open Replicator sessions, beginning the background copy operation

- Switchover production to the new array

You do not need to wait for the copy to complete before starting the application on the VMAX3 -- the VMAX3 will continue the background copy operation... and if the application requests data that hasn't been copied yet, Open Replicator will reach back to the VMAX1 to service the request (transparently to the application).

Thanks,

- Sean

226 Posts

Hi Sumanth,

You can use hot push or hot pull.

For hot push, you would need the Open Replicator/DM license on the VMAX1. For hot pull, you would not need any licensing (hot pull is free).

For hot push, the VMAX1 would be the control array. For hot pull, the VMAX3 would be the control array.

Personally I'd lean towards hot pull, because it's faster, requires no licensing, and you can perform an inline zero space reclaim during the hot pull operation.

Thanks,

- Sean

11 Posts

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your quick response. I was going through the OR guide and it says that "Hot Pulls need a separate license" so I thought I'd use Hot Push and another issue that I can think of is that if I used Hot Pull wouldn't I have to switchover the production first and then start the OR process?

Thanks,

Sumanth

11 Posts

March 1st, 2017 08:00

Thank you so much Sean for clearing my confusion. I appreciate it.

Sumanth

No Events found!