Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2014 05:00

Vmax upgrade from 5875 to 5876.

Hello,

I have the wonderful task of arranging the upgrade of our Vmax disk arrays from enginuity code 5875 to 5876 . Easy did you say? It would be if all of your attached hosts are running Solutions Enabler 7.5 or above.

Unfortunately, in our environment we have approximately 200 hosts attached to our 8 engine Vmax arrays and 80% of those hosts are running solutions enabler 7.3 or below (Clones being triggered locally on the servers).

I've been advised that we need to run 7.4/7.5 or above before we upgrade to the new 76 code but no one can explain to me what will happen if we dont.

So if we have a host attached to the array, running SE 7.3.2, what will happen once the array has been upgraded? Obviously the server will still maintain it's access to it's disks but will it still be able to communicate with the timefinder clones? Will we still be able to talk to SRDF from the host?

I have posed the question several times to EMC and never had a proper answer.

Any thoughts. ideas. experiences would be gratefully received.

Thanks

17 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 07:00

There are various OS's including:

Vmware ESX

Windows 2003/2008

Solaris

Linux redhat

114 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 07:00

What OSs ?

114 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 09:00

7.4 was the first version to support 5876 - for everything below behavior would be unpredictable.

We had the same challenge upgrading from 5875 to 5876, decided to not upgrade SE and we did have problems with SE 7.1 an 7.2 - all commands would hang.

Most of the SE upgrades do not require server reboots. I'd recommend backing up DGs and CGs if they are local to the servers.

859 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 21:00

"So if we have a host attached to the array, running SE 7.3.2, what will happen once the array has been upgraded? Obviously the server will still maintain it's access to it's disks but will it still be able to communicate with the timefinder clones? Will we still be able to talk to SRDF from the host? "

Once your array is upgraded to 5876 code, the solution enabler commands from unsupported SE would fail. I think you should first upgrade the hosts and then upgrade enginuity.

17 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 23:00

Thanks for the feedback guys. My plan includes upgrading SE before we upgrade the enginuity code, just wanted to see whether we could push the enginuity code upgrade through before completing the SE upgrades. But it looks like I'll have to be patient

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 4th, 2014 02:00

not all command will fail, timefinder command will continue to function with older SE.

No Events found!