Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2012 21:00

Which FA does the open replicator choose to use?

Dear All,

I will use open replicator to migrate my data.

It seems that all mapped FAs of source lun must zone to all mapped FAs of destination lun.

I done many times of tests, and did not get the same speed result.

I am curious about "Which FA does the open replicator choose to use?".

Thank you for your input.

Dennis

155 Posts

December 28th, 2012 08:00

Supppose if you zone 4 FAs from the source and other 4 FAs from the target and you are able to discover source and destination each other you are good.  The speed Depends up on what other traffic on the FAs you have. Better to choose seperate FAs for OR on each source and target. You can set the pace also for speed, while you run symrcopy

example:

symrcopy -sid 1234 -f create -hot -pull -copy -name - pace 3

pace 1 being the highest speed. pace 3 is good enough speed. you can try to increase it to 2 or 1. if you feel the speed is less. but keep in mind all the IO proirity will be for OR on that particular FAs.

2.2K Posts

If you are using Hot Pull then the FAs used on the control array (target) must be the same FAs used by the host Masking View for all the volumes being migrated.

A pace of 3 may be too much and can cause host impact. I have seen low pace values like that have significant host impact during a migration. If it is a low IO host or you have a migration window where the host impact does not matter then you may be able to get away with it.

Using the Celing parameter you can set the percentage of bandwidth used by the FA port for OR sessions. Some people find it easier to use the Ceiling parameter to control the copy rate and host impact. Although pace seems to work better for push operations.

2.2K Posts

As long as the zoning between remote and control FA ports is setup correctly, and the masking of the volumes from the remote array to the control array is correct, you should see a very even distribution of throughput on all the FA ports active in the Open Replicator session. If you are not then you may have one of the previous items configured incorrectly or different Ceiling settings on your FA ports.

In all the migrations I have conducted I have always seen very even port usage from Open Replicator when everything is setup correctly.

2.2K Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

Zikas wrote:

Guys hello,do you have any documents about the OR that you suggest to me in order to learn OR?Thanks in advance!!!

Lookup the Solutions Enabler Migration Product Guide on support.emc.com. This covers Open Replicator and FLM.

278 Posts

I agreed and my though is that you will use the FAs for the OR that your devices are masked and you are going the same FAs to do zoning with the remote site.

278 Posts

Guys hello,do you have any documents about the OR that you suggest to me in order to learn OR?Thanks in advance!!!

2.2K Posts

Yes, and it is not a recommendation or best practice but a hard requirement. Open Replicator operates at the FA level , and therefore requires that the same FA ports used for the masking are used for OR hot sessions.

278 Posts

Try to use FAs that are not used by anyother host or application.

Try to assign FAs only for the OR only.

2.2K Posts

Zikas wrote:

Try to use FAs that are not used by anyother host or application.

Try to assign FAs only for the OR only.

Unless you are only migrating one host to that single set of FAs you won't be able to isolate FAs only for OR sessions since the OR session runs on the FA ports that the device is masked to.

It is common to run OR sessions on FA ports with active host IO, that is why using pace or ceiling (my personal preference) to limit the impact of the OR sessions on other hosts is important.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 28th, 2012 12:00

when i setup my hot push sessions, i always use pre-copy with pace 10 and just let them drift there until i get very close to my cut-over date. Right before i activate the session and change pace to 0 (cant' change pace after activation) and let it go wide open.

2.2K Posts

December 28th, 2012 12:00

That is a good methodology. I find that pace works better on push sesssion for the final activation.

No Events found!