Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2012 07:00

how SPA and performance manager calculate percent busy for FA and Ports

Hi

I would like to know

1) how SPA and Performance Manager calculate Front End Director percent Busy , accross different  kind of symmetrix ( Dmx 4 , VMAX ...)

2) how SPA and Performance Manager calculate Front End Port percent Busy accross different kind of symmetrix and if the formula is adapted with the SAN connection : as example if a FA port  is 4GigaBit/second but is connected to a 2GigaBit/second port switch  , is the percent utilization take the "theorical" limit ( in our case 4Giga ) or the "real" limit ( in our case 2 Giga)

3) the answer of the 2 first question should help us to write a script ( with uilization of symstat command ) who will permit us to monitor percent ulization for FA and Port

Regards

1.3K Posts

March 18th, 2012 08:00

As far as I know the utilization is only for the CPU and IOPs, and not about the throughput in MB/sec.

7 Posts

but on SPA ( and Performance maganer ) there a metric % utilization at the port level I suppose that is relative to the mesure of MB/sec

1.3K Posts

Why not just use the monitoring capability of SPA to watch your utilization?  Doing more syscalls frequently with symstat is just likely to cause more performance problems than it will find.

7 Posts

Hi  Quincy56 ,

I undersand that using more symstat commad could cause performance problem

, however my request have 3 goals:

1) understand how the metric is calculated

2) propose a monitoring script who could be integrated for our alert management framework HP- Openview. (I write a similar kind of script in order to get alert of write pending percent) , and by only use of SPA this kind of script is not so easy to write

3) propose a tool who will help Storage Administrator to determin the optimal FA + port to use when connecting new servers ( by use of statistic tool : average , standard deviation and coefficient of variation ...) this tool shoold integrate too the "17 rule"

1.3K Posts

March 18th, 2012 15:00

I'm not that familiar with SPA, it is possible it is measuring the port throughput.

However two 4gb ports on the same CPU are not capable of 800MB/sec on DMX or VMAX, so I'm not sure what it would show if both were active.

Are there alerts in SPA you can set?

7 Posts

March 19th, 2012 01:00

yes but only by mail !!!

No Events found!