Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2011 05:00

need to know symcli command unmap devices ONLY from a single FA

Hi All,

As a part of performance optimization,I have to use replace one pair FA with new one.Currently I have provided 4 paths(4D/0,4D/1,13D/0,13D/1) for a server currently.I am replacing 4D/1,13D/1 with new pair 7A/0,10A/0.

I have mapped the devices to the new pair.I wanted to know what is the command to unmap the devices ONLY from 4D/1 and 13D/1.If I have to unmap the devices,either I have to make WD or NR the device which will affect host access.

so can somebody tell me what is the command to unmap the device only from single pair of FA.  ?

and do we need to do anything from host side before removing the current path ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 10th, 2011 06:00

I wanted to know do we need to do anything from host side to get this change reflected

thanks,

make sure new paths are visible on the host and are being managed by PowerPath. Unmask "old" paths and run "powermt check" to remove dead paths. If all looks good proceed with write disabling that device on old FAs and unmapping it form old FAs.

448 Posts

If you are running powerpath you can offline just that path or if you dont feel like doing that powerpath should adjust.  If its windows just go into the powerpath console and you can do it via the GUI.  Any other OS and you can command line it just make sure you know what path # you are taking offline.

Once you are done make sure you do the proper OS work to present the devices correctly and remove the dead paths.

Run powerpath commands to clean that up as well.

powermt config and say yes to remove all dead paths  (a)

powermt save   to save the new configuration so it doesnt look for the old paths again when it boots

If you are in the GUI on windows it asks to save the config on exit and say yes to do so; same effect as a powermt save command.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

when you make device NR ..it's NR all all FAs, not something that you want to do if that device is in use.

148 Posts

Hi all,

I got the command to do it

symdev -sid 123 write_disable 0BAD -SA 8C -p 1.

so this will write disable device 0BAD only on FA 8C:1 ..it will  not impact other FAs. Once you got them write_disabled on FAs you are no  longer using ..go ahead and unmap.

Thanks dynamox for this.I got this from one of the older post.

I wanted to know do we need to do anything from host side to get this change reflected

thanks,

51 Posts

hi anoopcr,

To unmap a particular device from one of the FAs, I use to set the device into NR state and then unmap it from the FA, From it took less than 4 minutes to do all these stuff. It better to schedule this in your maintainence window, if that device assigned to the host is critical.

symdev -sid XX not_ready 183F

Execute a 'Not Ready' Device operation for device '183F' (y/ ) ? y

'Not Ready' Device operation successfully completed for the device.

:/root:# symconfigure -sid XX -cmd " unmap dev 183F from dir XX:XX;" commit

Execute a symconfigure operation for symmetrix 'XXXXXXXX' (y/ ) ? y

A Configuration Change operation is in progress. Please wait...

Establishing a configuration change session...............Established.
    Processing symmetrix 000XXXXXXX
    Performing Access checks..................................Allowed.
    Checking Device Reservations..............................Allowed.
    Locking devices...........................................Locked.
    Initiating COMMIT of configuration changes................Queued.
    COMMIT requesting required resources......................Obtained.
    Step 005 of 024 steps.....................................Executing.
    Local:  COMMIT............................................Done.
    Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.

After completion of this activity the device will automatically goes to Ready(RW) state.

No Events found!