Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2013 12:00

symmask showing hbas still logged in after unzoned

Hello,

I have unzoned all of the hosts from our DMX-2000. The array is set for data erasure in a few days. I checked to make sure all zones are removed by checking in fabric manager as well as displaying the active zone set for each vsan on the core switches. All looks fine there, however, when I check using symmask, two of the hosts still show an HBA logged in as yes, in fabric yes, even after I have removed the zones. I checked each zone to make sure that the zone name was not incorrect and that the host was still zoned to the array and compared it to the active zone set. There is no active zone for those two hosts, and there is no storage shown still attached using syminq.

The command I use is symmask -sid XX list logins. I listed the output of one of the hosts below. The rest are all No No

I am perplexed.

Thanks! - Admingirl

Capture.13PNG.PNG

91 Posts

January 9th, 2013 00:00

Refer to the following primus solutions -

emc101566 -

> symmask list logins returns incorrect fabric login for Emulex hba's.

* This can be cleared by resetting the port.  If that does not clear the login status contact Tech Support.

emc192707 -

> The login history table is historical and the entries remain even after the HBAs have logged out of it.

* Enginuity version 5671 and above has the ability to delete the entries and hence clean up the login history table.

The CLI syntax to remove the entries is as below:

SYMMASK -sid -wwn | -awwn | -iscsi | -aiscsi delete [-dir all -p all | -dir # -p #] [-login]

Specifically the -login deletes the entries in the login history table and the entries in the masking database.

34 Posts

Run a symmask refresh to see if that helps

448 Posts

If you know the hosts are not logged in then what you have is ghost information.  At times the logged in/out record isnt updated properly.  An IML of the director would clear that information but you can only do that via a symmwin inlines command.  You could try to offline that director via symcli and then check the status; online the director and make sure its is the same.

BTW is this by any chance the host that you are running the commands from?  That host should still be logged in as it has visibility vai CLI.  Sometimes its the simple things that throw us off.

614 Posts

Thank you Dynamox, Robert, Tandok!

614 Posts

@Tandok, the refresh did not help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

614 Posts

@Robert - no it's not the host I am running symcli commands from. That one is last to unzone(which I haven't yet) because I was trying to figure out what was going on with the two that are still showing logged in.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

yeah..i see that all the time as well, especially with AIX boxes (not sure why). If you have double checked your zoning i would not worry about it too much. Give "symcfg discover" a try but i doubt much will change.

278 Posts

January 9th, 2013 00:00

Hi AdminGirl,

did you manage to delete those logins using the symmask command?

Try to do that and then execute the list logins again.

Then symmask refresh and symcfg disco.

If HBAs seems to be logged in again then you have to tell me whta type of brands are the hosts and the HBAs.

42 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 09:00

I am not sure if there is some thing of the sort of ping available sor FC protocol. Which would help us revalidating the stuff. Is there something similar of sort symrdf ping?

~ SSH$ symrdf ping

Successfully pinged (Remotely) Symmetrix ID: XXX12345678

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 10:00

There is no symping ☺

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

what are you trying to ping, initiator ? Look at "fcping" if you are using Cisco MDS

42 Posts

I was trying to ping the Host HBA from storage array.

108 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 04:00

if you're sure that everything is deleted, the areas, and the unmasking, just give:
symmask-sid <-wwn |-awwn > |
<-iscsi |-aiscsi [-name ]>
delete [-dir all-p all |-dir #-p #] [-login]

108 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 05:00

For VMAx

symaccess -sid xxx -wwn 10000000c98d8b12 -dirport 8e:0 remove -logins

No Events found!