Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2016 08:00

symmaskdb/symmask Failed to perform the operation because the specified Symmetrix unit is remotely-attached to host

When running "symmaskdb list database" or "symmask list logins" against a remote DMX, the following error is generated: "Failed to perform the operation because the specified Symmetrix unit is remotely-attached to host"

Does anyone know a workaround so that I can run symmaskdb list database against a remotely-attached DMX?

Also, does anyone know why this restriction is in place? I note that "symaccess list database" / "syaccess list logins" work without problems against remotely-attached VMAX, so it's really unclear to me why this restriction exists (maybe there was some historical reason, but looks senseless now). Also, I've noticed that other commands like "symdev list" generate similar amount of data, but run without problems against remotely-attached DMXs. The remote arrays are running 5771 / 5772 / 5773 code levels. Thanks.

465 Posts

February 14th, 2016 14:00

Symmask | symmaskdb are local only on DMX. The commands are directed to the VCMDB device which is why it cant be performed remotely at this level of code. You will need a host with SAN access to the array. If you have cross site fabric, you can use a remote host that has visibility of the VCMDB.

108 Posts

March 11th, 2016 05:00

You can to

108 Posts

March 11th, 2016 05:00

symavoid The symavoid file affects the operation of symcfg discover so that it does not look for devices that belong to the Symmetrix arrays specified in this file. This may be useful if there are multiple Symmetrix arrays connected to the host that you want SYMCLI to avoid. The Symmetrix avoidance file is formatted with 12-character Symmetrix IDs with one ID per line. To obtain a list of Symmetrix IDs, enter: syminq -symmids

No Events found!