Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2012 00:00

use of getkeeper luns ??

In dmx what is the use of get keeper luns ?? its size is constant ?? what data it contain ??

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello Jeeson,

Gatekeeper devices are Symmetrix devices that act as the target of command requests to Enginuity based functionality. These commands arrive in the form of disk I/O requests (and so a "disk" must be named by the host as the "address" or target of that command). The more commands that are issued from the host, and the more complex the actions required by those commands are, the more gatekeepers and/or array processor resources that are required to handle those requests in a timely manner.

You can find all the information relevant to Gatekeeper devices from the article emc255976.

465 Posts

There are several discussions in the Symmetrix community forum covering gatekeepers that contain good information such as the questions you have asked. Have you done a search for you answers there at all? Just search 'gatekeepers' .

Here is a sample thread for your convenience...

https://community.emc.com/thread/111417

859 Posts

EMC Primus emc255976 is the Gatekeeper black book.

May 22nd, 2012 01:00

thank you very much.....your valuable information helped me.....

59 Posts

May 24th, 2012 23:00

Communication  with Symmetrix arrays occurs by sending syscalls to the array along the  same channels used for normal storage I/O.  For Open Systems hosts,  this means we send monitoring and management commands over SCSI protocol  (SCSI pass-through commands) to Symmetrix devices visible to that  host.  As long as devices (LUNs) from an array are visible to a host, a  Symmetrix Agent installed on that host can actively manage that  Symmetrix array. 

There can be performance issues, however, if we are using the same  devices for both I/O (read-write) and management.  Sending one type of  command can cause the other to block until the outstanding commands are  completed.  To get around this problem, you can present special devices  to the host called Gatekeepers.

Gatekeepers are normal Symmetrix devices (of any type), that have a  very small size.  Most Gatekeeper devices are below 3 MB in size.  This  makes it very difficult to accidentally perform I/O operations to the  device (since there is practically no usable space on the  device), ensuring the device is only used for monitoring and management  commands.  ControlCenter, through Solutions Enabler, automatically  recognizes these devices as Gatekeepers, and will prefer these devices  when performing management functions.

Each Gatekeeper can handle a certain amount of traffic before it  becomes locked.  Once outstanding commands are completed, the Gatekeeper  will become unlocked and new commands can be processed.  In situations  where many commands are being sent simultaneously (like in the case of  Symmetrix and SDM Agents), multiple Gatekeepers are needed to ensure all  commands are processed in a speedy manner.

No Events found!