Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2010 03:00

zoning

Dears,

What would happen if the same HBA [pwwn] are zoned to two different storage array port ?

for an instance, the pwwn# of HBA is zoned to DMX port and also to IBM storage port.

what would be the impact to server in such case?

cheers

5.7K Posts

This one HBA will share it's maximum performance between the 2 arrays. I think you should consider if it's possible to have EMC Powerpath as well as IBM's loadbalancing software running at the same tmie. Is this possible ? Does IBM have software like this or can either one of the two perform this task for the DMX as well as the IBM array ?

I would in any case create 2 separate zones (for each HBA) and avoid zoning 1 HBA and 2 storage ports in the same zone. So zone1 = HBA + DMX port and zone2 = HBA + IBM port. So please avoid that a storage port can see some other storage port.

For the rest I can't think of any impact for the server.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

EMC has no problems supporting that configuration (at least in my experience i had the same host connected to EMC, Hitachi and STK) but you need to make sure IBM has no problems supporting that config either, some vendors may say that you have to have dedicated HBA for connectivity to their array. Better to ask that question now than later when "big blue" is refusing support.

5.7K Posts

February 10th, 2010 05:00

Exactly, but you should indeed make sure both vendors support this config. Just to make sure.

February 10th, 2010 05:00

I don't think there will be any impact...only thing wht will happen is that the server will see the LUNS from both the storage mapped to those ports.

2.1K Posts

February 10th, 2010 10:00

That is a good point RRR. We had some trouble migrating hosts from IBM F20 & E800 arrays to DMX3 because of the IBM SDD (or is it SSD?) driver. It would not play nice with PowerPath (or vice-versa). We ended up migrating data without PowerPath and then setting up the multi-pathing. That was a few years ago though, so they may be better at interacting nicely now.
No Events found!