slowecsl
3 Argentum

After Installation, problem logging into program

I went through the installation and reboot. When I try to start the program I get the login dialog box. I put in my username and password along with setting the proper domain from the pull down box as well as checking the Active-Directory login box, but it keeps telling me that logon failed. What am I doing wrong?

Installed on Windows 2003 Standard SP1 (Clean install)
Using OpenManage Server Administrator 4.4

Thanks

Message Edited by slowecsl on 07-25-2005 10:09 AM

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DELL-SeanC
3 Argentum

Re: After Installation, problem logging into program

If you are running windows server 2003,  ensure that you are using a complex password, in compliance with default policies.
0 Kudos
slowecsl
3 Argentum

Are these the guidelines required by Server Administrator alone or does Microsoft AD require it in conjunction?

By default, complex passwords enforced by Passfilt.dll have the following properties:

• Do not contain all or part of the user's account name.
  • Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
    • English uppercase characters (A through Z).
    • English lowercase characters (a through z).
    • Base-10 digits (0 through 9).
    • Non-alphanumeric (for example, !, $, #, %). extended ASCII, symbolic, or linguistic characters.

Here is the error I receive in the event log...

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 529
Date:  7/25/2005
Time:  4:33:17 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: XXX_XXXXXXX
Description:
Logon Failure:
  Reason:  Unknown user name or bad password
  User Name: 
  Domain:  
  Logon Type: 3
  Logon Process: Kerberos
  Authentication Package: Kerberos
  Workstation Name: -
  Caller User Name: -
  Caller Domain: -
  Caller Logon ID: -
  Caller Process ID: -
  Transited Services: -
  Source Network Address: 192.XXX.XXX.XXX
  Source Port: 0

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I checked our company GP and we do not require a complex password, only that it be at least so many characters long.

Message Edited by slowecsl on 07-25-2005 04:36 PM

0 Kudos
slowecsl
3 Argentum

I have tried to again install OMS 4.4, this time on another freshly installed server. The server is a PE 2500 running Windows Server 2003 SP1 and all firmware and Bios are up to date. I continue to have the same problem logging into the program. I went as far as creating a new user with administrative access with a complex password based on the Microsoft definition and I still receive a login failure.

I have tried logging in with "Active Directory login" both checked and unchecked. I need to get into this program ASAP. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TechExplorer
2 Bronze

Here is how to do it:

Extend the Active Directory schema using Schema Extender (You can find Schema Extender in \support\OMActiveDirectory_Tools\OMSA\Schema_Extender  on the “Systems Management Consoles CD”

Extend the “Active Directory Users and Computers” Snap-in by running setup.exe from the same “Systems Management Consoles CD”

Add OMSA users and their privileges to Active Directory.

For step-by-step instructions, please follow the link below:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smsom/4.5/en/ug/html/mad.htm

Message Edited by TechExplorer on 10-27-2005 02:49 PM

0 Kudos