Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2003 15:00

Bug Thread

Cygwin

Currently Windows Registry entries under "HKCU\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2" are modified to point to the "c:\progra~1\dell\openma~2\networ~1\oware3rd\cygwin (such as the entriy for /). This effectively overrides any cygwin install the user already has on the system.

I am not sure what happens if someone installs cygwin after NM is installed. If the mount points are overwritten then NM's cygwin now becomes completely broken. If the mount points are not overwritten then likely newer versions of software will be installed to the Dell Cygwin tree, possibly causing issues with NM.

The Cygwin that ships with the Dell software should be independant of any other Cygwin's on the system.

This affects both the client and server installations.

Message Edited by rlebar on 11-13-2003 03:33 PM

12 Posts

November 6th, 2003 16:00

User Creation/Modification

Within the NM software, we cannot create new users or modify existing users (Settings >> Permissions >> User Manager, etc.). The buttons at the bottom to okay or cancel are not there. I tried tabbing through all the widgets and it never stopped on any hidden items. In other words, they really are not there. I was logged in as admin, but not from the Windows account the software was installed under.

II tried it by running the client via a terminal server session to the NM server and via the client installed on my laptop.

812 Posts

November 6th, 2003 21:00

Re: User Creation/Modification

The save buttons on many of the screens were actually a last minute addition to improve the ease of use and make the interface more user friendly. Unfortunately, we were not able to get the buttons added to every screen. If there is a screen that does not have a separate Save button, you will need to use the one in the menu bar (disk icon).

12 Posts

November 7th, 2003 19:00

Re: User Creation/Modification

Right you are. However, that means that the documentation that ships with the product is wrong (it has a picture with the buttons in it).

November 21st, 2003 21:00

The current release of Network Manager does not run independently or isolated from other Cygwin installations. After performing various testing scenarios, it appears that the last application to install Cygwin will function properly and any subsequent applications that are using a pre-existing installation of Cygwin that aren't able to run independently or isolated from other Cygwin installations could result in unexpected and undesirable actions. This is currently viewed as a serious issue and should be resolved in the next release of Network Manager.

12 Posts

November 24th, 2003 17:00

It's good to see that DELL appears to be commited to making NM better. Thanks for the heads up!

16 Posts

February 18th, 2004 00:00

Sorry, but cygwin is not built that way.  They chose to use the registry to store mount points.

Check out their site, they basically tell you not to install cygwin more than once.  Their

workarounds are unacceptable.  I have tried to support multiple cygwin installations, but

until they decide to store the mount points in the file system, we're out of luck.

12 Posts

February 18th, 2004 15:00

Sorry, but cygwin is not built that way.  They chose to use the registry to store mount points.
Check out their site, they basically tell you not to install cygwin more than once.  Their
workarounds are unacceptable.  I have tried to support multiple cygwin installations, but
until they decide to store the mount points in the file system, we're out of luck.

Since the source code for Cygwin is available it should be possible for Dell to build their own version that uses different registry keys. What would be really nice is if this was made a 'configure' option. Of course, they would have to make their changes available since Cygwin is GPL. Of course, if they modified it to make it a 'configure' option then they could just contribute the changes back into CVS.

16 Posts

February 18th, 2004 18:00

Well, if I were to modify cygwin, I definitely wouldn't use the registry for mount points at all.  There is no reason I can think of they should not be stored in the file system.  Each installation of cygwin would store it own mount points in its own subfolder.  I can't believe this hasn't been fixed.  Oh, well, I'm sure the contributors to cygwin are as busy as the rest of us.  I just suspect it would have been easier to fix the bug than to write a bunch of text detailing, "workarounds."  I'll look into it.  One of my co-workers joked that perhaps you should modify cygwin.  I'm realtively certain you won't find that as amusing as he did.  I'm a Java programmer, but how hard could it be to fix?  Now I'm curious.  I guess I'll go download the source and take a look.

16 Posts

February 18th, 2004 23:00

Okay, this is looking less and less fun all the time:

http://www.tinyvital.com/techblog/archives/000333.html

We'll have problems with .dll clashes and path management as well.

Probably best to change the .dll name and easiest to just modify the registry key used.

Still haven't downloaded the source, due to time constraints and the fact that thus far I have avoided installing CVS and still managed to get source.  My luck may be running out.

12 Posts

February 19th, 2004 16:00

Sounds like the real question for cygwin is can you have two differently named dlls running at the same time (using different registry entries, etc.). I guess you would also have to build all your commands to link against the new library.

Now that Services for UNIX 3.5 is available maybe Dell can look into that as an alternate solution.

No Events found!