Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

January 5th, 2013 18:00

Can't run SUU 7.2 from hard disk

I just downloaded SUU 7.2 and copied the ISO file to one of my servers.  I extracted the contents of the ISO and tried to run suulauncher.exe.  This has worked with previous versions, but it doesn't appear to work with 7.2.  Now all I get is the splash screen that says "SUU is running from the local drive" and nothing else happens.

I've tried this on Windows Server 2008 64-bit, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012.  None of them work.

Now, on my server running 2012, I used the built-in feature to mount the ISO file.  When I run it from the virtual CD device, then it works just fine!

26 Posts

January 10th, 2013 07:00

Bump ... anybody?

27 Posts

January 11th, 2013 02:00

Same problem here.

I'm not sure what the solution is.

This is not the first unrunnable SUU that Dell has produced, they need to tighten up their QA process :-)

1 Message

January 11th, 2013 10:00

I had the same issue. I extracted the files to a folder that I called "Dell SUU 7.2.0" without the quotes. In the documentation (readme.txt) files that come in the ISO it states that the exe does not like special characters in the name. I found it also does not like spaces. I renamed the folder "Dell_SUU_7.2.0" and it has launched properly for me. I hope this works for you.

27 Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

Thanks, that gave me the clue I needed to resolve this in our environment.

Running it from a path which doesn't contain spaces does indeed work.

However, I can't rename a directory some levels higher without side-effects.

I did think of a wrapper script to map a drive, but them remembered that suu.cmd is a script which does all the work, anyway.

Replacing 7.2.0's suu.cmd with the one from SUU 7.1.1 fixed the issue for me.

Another alternative is to replace 7.1.1's repository directory with 7.2.0's, which also works.

Cheers,

Phil

26 Posts

January 11th, 2013 13:00

Sweet!  That did the trick.  Thanks all!

27 Posts

January 11th, 2013 13:00

The fix is even easier:

Line 10 of 7.2.0's suu.cmd is:

IF NOT EXIST %homedir%java\windows\%OS% (

and should be:

IF NOT EXIST "%homedir%java\windows\%OS%" (

That is, put double quotes around the path in that test.

Simple, and all too obvious on reflection.

Cheers,

Phil

27 Posts

February 27th, 2013 08:00

The change to line 10 of SUU 7.2.0's suu.cmd should have been sufficient to fix it.

1 Message

February 27th, 2013 08:00

I also had to use the suu.cmd from 7.1 to get 7.2 to work right.  Just extract/copy the ISO to the hard drive and

copy the suu.cmd to the extracted directory and then run it again.  Thanks again to everyone on this post!

1 Message

May 29th, 2013 13:00

There has been an update to Dell's SUU. The latest revision is 7.2.1 and it works directly from the download. No modifications are needed to get the revised SUU working.

It can be found here:

www.dell.com/.../driverdetails

No Events found!