Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2014 06:00

Can't upgrade iDRAC7 v1.50.50 using CLI utility from Linux

Hi All,

We faced with severe issues with iDRAC7 v1.50.50 and found out that critical update was released according to http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3204.dell-remote-access-controller-drac-idrac.aspx

But the problem is we can't update our Linux servers (both R720s and M620s) using bmcfwul utility:

iDRAC7 Firmware Upgrade Utility Version: 1.30.10.21427
Copyright 2013 Dell Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Firmware Version Current Image
12G iDRAC7 BASE V1.00 Firmware Version 1.50.50.34 1.56.55.05

Detecting USB Device timeout
USB Device is not found
USB Device is not found
USB Device is not found
Failed to access Virtual USB Device

But if we trying to upgrade from v1.51.51 - everything goes fine!
Also it's possible to update 1.50.50 to latest version through DRAC WEB GUI, but it requires vFlash card installed - and we do not have it on all chassis. 

Does anyone was faced with similar issues on Linux?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 7th, 2014 10:00

Can you let me know which flavor of Linux OS installed on the server. Also let us know the racadm version and command used for FW update.

There is no need to install vFlash card for updating iDRAC Firmware through GUI.

5 Posts

April 7th, 2014 11:00

It's Ubuntu 12.04, racadm is installed from dell apt repos,  racadm v7.1.0
I took latest RHEL DUP file ESM_Firmware_V554G_LN_1.56.55_A00.BIN. unpack it using --unpack, and took files /x64/bmcfwul and firmimg.d7, then I running fw upgrade with sudo ./bmcfwul -i=./firmimg.d7

I can't run racadm fwudate directly because is also failing:
# racadm fwupdate -p -u -d ./firmimg.d7 

sh: bmcfwu.so: command not found

And when I trying update drac fw on M620 using CMC web gui on m1000e I got next error -

" iDRAC7 server updates require that the Extended Storage feature is enabled". Also I see that message in Instructions :

• Dell Update Packages (DUP) that are less than 48MB are supported. The Extended Storage Feature is required for larger DUPs. For more information see the following link  Extended Storage Feature 

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 7th, 2014 12:00

Yes. Updating iDRAC from CMC need Extended Storage card installed on CMC. I would recommend to use iDRAC web GUI or remote racadm for updating iDRAC FW.

Refer below link for details

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3206.updating-drac-firmware.aspx

5 Posts

April 7th, 2014 13:00

remote racadm also not working from Linux workstation. But I'll try direct iDRAC update tomorrow - VPN is too slow to upload 70 MB - thanks!

29 Posts

April 10th, 2014 23:00

I also get this when running racadm

# racadm fwupdate -p -u -d /tmp/dell/idrac7-1.56.55/payload/firmimg.d7

NOTE:
The current version of Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC)
that do not support the execution of RACADM commands.
Contact Dell customer service to upgrade to iDRAC Express or iDRAC Enterprise
The installed version of RACADM client executable that do not match the

I am using Centos 6.5

29 Posts

April 10th, 2014 23:00

similar issues for myself as well. Except they are compounded by not having access to a working web gui.

See my comments here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/177/p/19432649/20613569.aspx#20613569

This upgrade path is surprisingly more difficult than the mechanism HP employs. There, I said it!

5 Posts

April 11th, 2014 02:00

I update fw to 1.55.56 successfully everywhere, using or CMC Web "Update" menu (where I has Flash cards installed), or through direct Web iDRAC "Uprade and Rollback" menu. Yes, both are manual but I found no other option.

29 Posts

April 11th, 2014 03:00

The GUI is not an option in my case due to another issue\bug wit 1.50.50 - see the other thread.

racadm I am using is v.7.3.2 and it keeps on returning despite various ideas:

NOTE:
The current version of Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC)
that do not support the execution of RACADM commands.
Contact Dell customer service to upgrade to iDRAC Express or iDRAC Enterprise
The installed version of RACADM client executable that do not match the
generation of the server.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2014 03:00

Then install windows in VM, install racadm there and run racadm.exe fwupdate - it might works

29 Posts

April 13th, 2014 22:00

On a windows machine I installed RAC tolls from the latest version and then:

C:\Windows\system32>racadm

===============================================================================
RACADM version 7.4.0 (Build 866)
Copyright (c) 2003-2013 Dell, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
===============================================================================

Followed by -

C:\Windows\system32>racadm -r 192.168.3.168 -u -p getsysinfo
Security Alert: Certificate is invalid - Certificate is not signed by Trusted Third Party
Continuing execution. Use -S option for racadm to stop execution on certificate-related errors.
ERROR: Unable to connect to RAC at specified IP address.

I can ping the above address and I can even browse to it and get the idrac landing page. By extension the fwupdate command unsurprisingly has the same results. What an annoying little problem the update process is becoming

29 Posts

April 15th, 2014 05:00

This really is an awesome upgrade process.

This time around I created an bootable SUU for an R720. It see the Drac and goes to apply package 1.56 in place of 1.50. But alas fails with:

Failed to access virtual USB Device

amazing, truly amazing.......

29 Posts

April 16th, 2014 03:00

Ok so I finally called Pro support and got somewhere with this issue.

Hopefully this helps someone.

I could not SSH to the DRAC. By that I mean I could connect, enter my username and then time out before I could enter a password.

The upshot was I had to power the machine down UNPLUG all power and "drain/flee power".

After this the DRAC became responsive to an SSH session and I could actually flash the firmware.

1 Message

May 25th, 2017 18:00

I was trying to use Dell System Update (DSU) to update a system remotely and the IDRAC update failed with "USB Device is not found" several times.

I finally tried resetting the DRAC from the command line and it fixed both problems. Here is the magic incantation that worked for me remotely without unplugging anything.

First install srvadmin:

yum install srvadmin-idrac

Then issue the IDRAC reset command:

/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/idracadm7 racreset

Then wait a few minutes and retry the update with DSU or otherwise.

No Events found!