Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

October 18th, 2004 04:00

DRAC 4.0 through a firewall

I have a DRAC 4 card.

Does any one have a list of ports that I would need to use behind a firewall as these seem to have changed from a DRAC III.

I understand I need 443 but I also need some other ones. I tried the DRAC III ones but these did not work!

Many thanks

Ian

October 18th, 2004 13:00

Please go to the following link:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

The DRAC 4 ports are listed on this page with an explanation of each.

Thank you for using Dell Community Forums!

11 Posts

October 19th, 2004 02:00

Wow that was quick. OK - have looked at the information - very good, but seem to be having a problem.

I am using ssh to connect to the server -- can login fine and the console comes up but fails at the last moment with

Unable to connect to vKVM, press OK to exit.

Any idea what I am missing.

Ian

2 Posts

November 8th, 2004 10:00

hello Ian..

We have the same problem, i guess.

We have made a setup with a 1:1 NAT table. When we load the client java console thingy, it's trying to connect to the LAN ip adresse... from the outside.. it's NOT that smart. it would be better if it did use the hostheader, or simply an WAN ip setting..

It would be really nice if there could be taken care of this very simple problem.

network:

Web Client ----> WAN ip [firewall] ---> LAN ip [Drac 4]

November 10th, 2004 12:00

Please check the following link for the DRAC4 user guide. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

There is a Frequently Asked Questions section where the vKVM error is mentioned.

Thanks for using Dell Community Forums!

Message Edited by DELL-MichelleT on 11-10-2004 08:14 AM

2 Posts

November 10th, 2004 21:00

Sorry.. we danes are stupid..

could you be so kind to quote what i can't see ?

****, i'll send you a case of danish special xmas brew if it's what i need..

This is not a problem whatever tcp port not to block, but a simple question on the drac is using a wrong (internal) IP address from an external browser when entering the java application to open the console.

So please do tell me.. (i'll make it worth your time ;)

17 Posts

August 18th, 2005 06:00

We have this problem, too. The DRAC embeds its IP address in what it sends to the remote, causing the remote's Java applet to try to connect to that IP address. The problem is that the IP address may be a private one, behind a NAT firewall, while the remote may be across the Internet somewhere, making such a connection completely impossible. If the DRAC could be configured to use a host/domain name, it would be very easy to maintain that in DNS somewhere or create a dynamic DNS entry for it.

This is an incredibly bad problem that has forced us to tell customers they have to connect the DRAC port to a dedicated public IP address. Very nasty, and some places simply won't do it.

17 Posts

September 12th, 2005 00:00

That link takes me to a page that has no meaningful content whatsoever.

17 Posts

September 12th, 2005 01:00

...and still waiting.

July 21st, 2006 12:00

MichelleT, thanks for providing a link but it seems rather out of date as there is nothing on the page. I am getting the same error, vkvm unable to connect, but I am not behind a firewall at all. This is a new install and other DRAC 4 cards work fine. I have read through the DRAC 4 documentation and cannot find anything helpful. Is there an updated link that might help explain what could be wrong?

October 4th, 2006 22:00

The article states:
Make sure that you have installed Sun Java JRE 1.4.2 or later on the management station. You must also disable the Java cache from the Java Control Panel. You can download this JRE version from java.sun.com.

Here is a better link:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smdrac3/drac4/1.35/en/ug/racugbk.pdf
Do a search for the vKvm.

1 Message

May 12th, 2011 13:00

Just a followup on this old thread, I posted a how to for tunneling DRAC connections over a socks proxy at http://darktraining.com/DRAC/80/

Hope this helps some future searcher.

No Events found!