jseeley
1 Copper

DRAC, racadm, and configuration files

Hello,

I have a mix of the following DRAC cards:

DRAC5

iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.2

iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.8

I use racadmn and a configuration file to change DRAC passwords. For my DRAC5 and iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.2 cards, my config file looks like this:

[cfgUserAdmin]
cfgUserAdminUserName=root
cfgUserAdminPassword=somepassword

For my iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.8 cards, my config file looks like this:

[cfgUserAdmin]
cfgUserAdminIndex=2

The reason for my post centers around the "cfgUserAdminIndex=2" line. For my DRAC5 and iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.2 cards, if this were present in the config file, the results of applying the config file to the respective DRACs returns the following:

ERROR: The specified object is READ ONLY and cannot be modified.
ERROR: Failed to configure object. Group: cfgUserAdmin, Object = cfgUserAdminIndex

For my iDRAC6 Firmware v1.8 cards, if "cfgUserAdminIndex=2" is NOT present in the config file, the results of applying the config file returns the following:

Object UserID in cfgUserAdmin group must be specified. Line: [1]

Documentation for DRAC5 and iDRAC Firmware v 1.2 says the following:

"You cannot specify an index of your choice in a .cfg file"

I don't see this same information in the iDRAC Firmware v 1.7 (1.8 says to refer to 1.7) documentation but I don't see anything referencing this change in any of the READMEs.

Do my config files look correct for my various cards? Am I interpreting the return errors correctly? It seems strange that iDRAC6 Firmware v1.7 would behave differently in this regard than it's previous versions.

Thank you,

Jacob

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jseeley
1 Copper

Re: DRAC, racadm, and configuration files

I might have found the answer...

For all of my DRACs (DRAC5, iDRAC6 Firmware v1.2 and iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.8) I was using the racadm utility from the following RPM:

srvadmin-racadm5

What I found is there are RPMs for each version of DRAC:

srvadmin-idracadm.x86_64 : iDRAC6 Command Interface, 7.1.0
srvadmin-idracadm7.x86_64 : iDRAC7 Command Interface, 7.1.0
srvadmin-racadm4.x86_64 : RAC Command Interface, 7.1.0
srvadmin-racadm5.x86_64 : RAC5 Command Interface, 7.1.0

Now, when I use idracadm for my iDRAC6 Firmware v 1.8 (instead of racadm, which is what I was using before) with the following config...

[cfgUserAdmin]

...I no longer get the error message I was getting before (Object UserID in cfgUserAdmin group must be specified. Line: [1]) and no longer require the line "cfgUserAdminIndex=2". This now means that my config file is now the same for all my DRACs but I need to use different utilities based on which DRAC I need to change the password on.

Please let me know if this is the correct solution to my original issue.

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos