Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2011 13:00

Dell Client Manager 3.2 Standard - strange error from TaskServer

OK, I wanted to go ahead and get a thread started out here for this, since I have Googled high and low, but it appears I am the only person on the planet who is experiencing this particular error.

After a successful install of Dell Client Manager 3.2 Standard, I am able to add computers from Active Directory, but once I schedule a task to inventory 1 or more of those computers (strictly BIOS and Hardware inventory for the first test), the tasks hang out in a permanently "Start Pending" status.

When I go to the log viewer, I get the following error repeatedly, apparently on some kind of background retry timer?

Source: Altiris.TaskManagement.ClientTask.*
Description: ClientTaskServer.RegisterTaskServer(): Failed to register: System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
at System.Guid..ctor(String g)
at Altiris.DotNetLib.AltirisGuid..ctor(String g)
at Altiris.TaskManagement.Common.AltirisResourceGuid..ctor(String g)
at Altiris.ClientTask.Server.ClientTaskServer.ReadResourceGuid()
at Altiris.ClientTask.Server.ClientTaskServer.RegisterTaskServer()

I did the 32 bit install on a Windows Server 2003 (standard edition). Web site interface otherwise appears to be running fine (no other errors in the eventlog).

It would kinna be cool if I could actually see this software do it's thing. Am I the only one? Is there a more detailed level of logging I can invoke that will reveal the mystery? (BTW... I did full repair through Installation Manager twice). Condition persists.

1.1K Posts

May 2nd, 2011 20:00

You will probably get a faster answer from Dell Client Manager Support: (800) 945-3355 – Ask for the "Open Manage Queue."

12 Posts

May 5th, 2011 13:00

I will give them a try, but as of yet, we've made no financial commitment to Dell Client Manager (apart from buying all of our computers from Dell)... so I wasn't sure I would rate help-worthy because I was using the free version. I'll give them a call tomorrow and post back here.
No Events found!