Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

June 3rd, 2022 01:00

Dell OEM-R 720xd || Server keeps booting to its System Setup

Hi Support,

I have a server that keeps 'F2 = Entering System Setup' after every reboot. The server does not have a keyboard attached to it, and I even went ahead and disabled all the USB ports in the BIOS just to be sure. However, the server keeps booting to the System Setup.

The boot sequence has been set as follows:
1. Harddrive C: Integrated RAID Controller 1: PERC H710 || All Virtual disks are ready!
2. Integrated NIC 1 (Normally this one is the first, but changed for testing purposes)

===========================================
System Information
Description OEM-R 720xd
BIOS Version 2.7.0
Node Id DRF****
Express Service Code 29956******
Host Name
OS Name
OS Version
System Revision I
Lifecycle Controller Firmware 2.63.60.61
IDSDM Firmware Version N/A

===========================================

All help is appreciated

• 

8.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 07:00

Doc_Santiago,

What I would check on is if you have the F1/F2 prompt and the Keyboard errors disabled in the Miscellaneous Settings screen. If not then try that to see if it still occurs. Normally when you get prompting to the BIOS, it is due to something being enabled, but isn't present, or vice versa. 

Also, does the issue stop if you add a keyboard?

Lastly, was anything done to the server prior to this occurring, such as adding hardware or updating the server?

Let me know.

• 

8.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 08:00

I would take the server to its minimum to post configuration, which is removing everything internally and externally from the server, but the following;

• One Power Supply
  • Control Panel (for power button functionality)
  • Working cable connection between control panel and system board
  • One Processor (CPU) in socket CPU1 (minimum for troubleshooting)
  • One Memory Module (DIMM) installed in socket A1
  • System Board
  • Backplane (for R720xd control panel connection)

Once you take it to that configuration swap power supply #1 and #2, power the server, and confirm if the error is still present, if it has changed to reflect PS1, or if it has cleared. 

If cleared then individually add the removed devices back until everything is reinstalled, or something causes the error to reappear..

Let me know what you see.

June 3rd, 2022 08:00

Hi Chris,

In regards to the F1/F2 prompt and the Keyboard errors disabled in the Miscellaneous Settings screen. I tried both, disabled and enabled. There was nothing changed on the server itself, it just rebooted after an error (Please find the image attached) and it has been like that ever since.

Doc_Santiago_0-1654270304371.png

I tried rearranging the boot sequence to see what it does, but no matter what I try, it just goes to the setup services as soon as I reboot it.

Thank you so much for your answer

No Events found!