Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2008 09:00

Dell OpenManage IT Assistant + jre 1.6u10 / jre 1.6u11

Hi,

We are running jre 1.6u11 on our client machines  (latest version available from sun)

But I'm unable to use to the ITA webinterface, I get the error :

IT Assistant will not launch because a dependent component is not installed. This may happen if :

1. Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls setting is disabled.
    • Enable Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls under ActiveX controls and plug-ins in the security zone that IT Assistant is classified in. Close the browser and launch IT Assistant in a new browser window. You can disable this setting after the component is installed.
      Note: If you install the component from the information bar (yellow bar at the top) of the browser, IT Assistant may still fail to launch on certain operating systems.
  2. You have canceled the installation of the component.

Is there a fix for this ?

ITA version 8.3.0

Workstation is running Vista x64 SP1 (+all updates)

I also tried connecting from a windows xp machine, but this also doesn't work.

Help about / details shows :

Active Directory Snap-in
Version 4.2.0

IT Assistant Connection Service
Version 3.3.0

Sun Java Runtime Environment for IT Assistant
Version 1.6.0

Core Service for IT Assistant
Version 3.3.0

OpenManage Tools for IT Assistant
Version 3.3.0

Dell OpenManage Management Station
Version 5.5.0

Remote Access Controller 5 Management Station
Version 5.5.0

1 Message

December 30th, 2008 12:00

This is what worked for me. Open the Java control panel, go to the advanced tab, expand the Java Plug-in node and uncheck the box.

1 Message

December 16th, 2008 22:00

As mentioned in error, Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls setting in internet explorer security configuation needs to be enabled.

Access Internet options -- Security tab-- select trusted sites -- custom settings - enable automatic prompting for activex controls. Apply and restart explorer. This should resolve the issue.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2008 04:00

Hi,

The automatic prompting is already enabled. (and it was working ok with jre 1.6u7)

2 Posts

December 29th, 2008 13:00

Any resolution on this?

I am having the same issues, and it looks like it could be a Java update.

I have 1.6.0.11 installed as well.  Same thing with Firefox.

I have checked that automatic prompting is enabled.

???

Thanks

793 Posts

December 29th, 2008 15:00

Instead of setting the ActiveX controls to Prompt, put the ITA server in the trusted site zone, and change all ActiveX security settings to Enable or Allow for that zone. 

2 Posts

December 30th, 2008 07:00

Still not working after adding to Trusted Sites and changing all ActiveX settings to enable.  I even tried setting Trusted Sites to "Low".  Login is ok then it starts to show the computer icon in the middle of the screen and then the active X message appears.  It works fine on another computer with Java version 1.6.0_7.

Thanks for the response though.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2008 13:00

thnx this fixed the problem

not sure what is disabled when I uncheck "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in" ?

1 Message

January 5th, 2009 18:00

This solution also worked for me. excellent work.

thanx

17 Posts

January 8th, 2009 15:00

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately this solution did not work for me.

When this box is checked, I see the same errors you have described here "Active X..),

When this box cleared, I see the Error pop up saying:

"The session has expired. Log in again.

You can configure the session timeout via Preferences (Web server Properties) from the top navigation bar. If you still see this error; see the online help for more information."

Thing is that when I click on "OK" it brings me to sign on screen and no "preferences" displayed on navigation. Neither can I go there without clicking OK.

Setup info:

IT assistant installed on: Server 2008, IE7.0; java 6 update 11

Also tried to access from remote XP machine with IE 7.0, java 6 update 11 with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

899 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 13:00

If you have IPv6 enabled on the server try uninstalling it and retry. 

Hope this helps.

Bob

1 Message

February 11th, 2009 09:00

Also, try clearing the java cache (from the Java control panel), and clear your IE cache as well.  That helped me.

A few of the issues I had with IE (rather than Firefox, which works after clearing the Next Gen Java plugin, and forcing a clear of the cache) were to do with me missing the bar that asked me if I wanted to download/install/run the ActiveX control..  When I sorted that out, and cleared the cache, all ran fine.

129 Posts

February 13th, 2009 04:00

RESULT!. Thanks very much, been pulling whats left of my hair out for days.

1 Message

February 24th, 2009 08:00

I am still having problems. I can get IT assistant to run but when I go to software updates it wants me to add -XMX256M to the parameters of Java. When I do that, IT assistant crashes. I take that parameter out and IT assitant loads again.

I have:

ITA 8.3

Java 1.6 release 11

Windows XP

IE 7

2 Posts

March 10th, 2009 07:00

I'm having the same issues with software updates, using Java 1.6u12.  Still unresolved....

3 Posts

March 16th, 2009 21:00

OK this attempt 2, after I tried to do a spell check and lost my previous posting. :emotion-12:

I have now got this working on a windows 2008 server running IE7 and I hope my experience helps someone. It was giving the "Session has expired error"

One of my colleagues handed me this issue, and in my usual bravado I said yeah i can sort that for you.... So one and half days later........ I have it sorted I think.. :emotion-5:

OK I found that there were two problems that were causing me issues.

1. The java update issue (as detailed in this thread)

"Open the Java control panel, go to the advanced tab, expand the Java Plug-in node and uncheck the box.  (Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in)"

This problem I solved by either running Java version 1.6.07 or if I needed to run a later version I ensured I had unchecked the "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in". My preference was to retain 1.6.07.

This issue was present on any client machine running Java 1.6.07+ that I tried to connect to the IT assistant (running on the windows 2008 server). This fixed the issue for all remote clients connecting to IT assistant.

2. IPv6 issues

Now I read above that someone suggested uninstalling IPv6, as far as I am aware in windows 2008, and vista for that matter, you cannot actually uninstall IPv6 but you can disable ipv6 by deselecting it on the properties of each connection. So I went ahead and disabled IPv6 on each connection.... and ...... it did f all. Still no joy.....
So did I give up, yes I did, but I went to the great thinking throne......     Where I sobbed like a lonely madman, surely I could not be defeated..... then an Epiphany came upon me, "can I disable IPv6 in its entirety". I had wasted hours so far so I might as well waste a bit more. I was not convinced but it was worth atry so I hobbled back to my desk (a broken man). So to the tinterweb I went........ And I came across this, now it appears there is no option in the GUI to disable but you can perform a registry change.

• Add the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFFFFFFFF:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

Now I believe this change will pretty much disable IPv6 across the board (That is not completely true but look here for more info). Now the change requires a reboot to be effective. So i rebooted the machine and then tried to connect to IT assistant and low and behold i was in.....

To confirm that I had not made some other change in my search for a solution that was fixing this issue, I removed the registry change and rebooted again. IT assistant again failed to start, so I then then made the registry and rebooted. IT assistant is now working.

To conclude I recommend you are careful disabling IPv6, as further down the road this could come back and bite as there is no obvious indication that IPv6 is disabled across the board. Anyhoo it got it working for me.

Hope this helps someone.

No Events found!