Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2002 15:00

Dell Openmanage IT Assistant - Problem W2KSP3

After upgrading a workstation we use to monitor our servers, Dell Open Manage IT Assistant (including up to v6.3) attempts to start but will not with the following error:

The procedure entry point SnmpUtilOctetsFree could not be located in the dynamic link library snmpapi.dll.

Any ideas (besides reverting SP's) to fix the problem. This system had been kept up to date with all security fixes prior to upgrading to SP3 with no issues.

Thanks

Michel.Reed@tenethealth.com

August 2nd, 2002 15:00

I experienced that exact same error message after installing Windows 2000 SP3 today on my desktop computer, which was running IT Assistant v6.2 SP2. I downloaded and installed IT Assistant v6.3, but that error message still pops-up every time I boot the computer.

If I launch IT Assistant, it fails with this message when trying to connect to the OpenManage server: "Unable to connect to OpenManage server 'my-computer-name' on port 2607. The connection parameters may be invalid or the server may be down. Try restarting the application or contact a system administrator if the problem persists."

When I checked Windows 2000 services, these 2 services are not running though set to Automatic startup:
IT Assistant Connection Service
IT Assistant Network Monitoring Service
If I try to start either service, I get the error message reported before. The error message title bar reads "dcnetmon.exe - Entry Point Not Found", and the error message text reads "The procedure entry point SnmpUtilOctetsFree could not be located in the dynamic link library snmpapi.dll."

Message Edited on 08/02/02 12:14PM by Mike_Harris

104 Posts

August 3rd, 2002 02:00

I also updated my server to SP3. I mad sure the service pack amde a backup of the files it replaced. Upon reboot I received the same error as you. I checked the file snmpapi.dll it was now version 4.x . I went into the backup folder and checked the version of snmpapi.dll it was a 5.x version. So I copied the 5.x over the 4.x and started the ITA services. ITA now works fine.

-cjtompsett

August 6th, 2002 16:00

That's not what I'm seeing. My backed-up SNMPAPI.DLL is v5.0.2134.1 and dated 12/7/1999, so it's the original version that shipped with Windows 2000. SP3 replaced it with v5.0.2195.4874 dated 7/22/2002.

It's not a good idea to manually roll-back a single file installed by a Service Pack. That DLL is related to other files that were also updated by SP3, such as SNMP.EXE, SNMPSNAP.DLL, and SNMPTRAP.EXE (which are also dated 7/22/2002). You can make a system unstable by installing unmatched versions of related files.

5 Posts

August 7th, 2002 12:00

Well, if it's not a good idea to rollback a dll that was changed by a service pack, and installing this service pack was what caused the error in IT Assistant, what is the fix?
Mike_Harris wrote:
- That's not what I'm seeing. My backed-up
- SNMPAPI.DLL is v5.0.2134.1 and dated 12/7/1999, so
- it's the original version that shipped with Windows
- 2000. SP3 replaced it with v5.0.2195.4874 dated
- 7/22/2002.
-
- It's not a good idea to manually roll-back a single
- file installed by a Service Pack. That DLL is
- related to other files that were also updated by
- SP3, such as SNMP.EXE, SNMPSNAP.DLL, and
- SNMPTRAP.EXE (which are also dated 7/22/2002). You
- can make a system unstable by installing unmatched
- versions of related files.
-
-

5 Posts

August 7th, 2002 13:00

For a temporary fix, I did revert back to Service Pack 2 by uninstalling Service Pack 3 through Add/Remove Programs. This did fix my IT Assistant. I just won't be able to upgrade this certain server to SP3 until Dell or Microsoft comes up with a fix.

5 Posts

August 7th, 2002 17:00

That worked for me as well, pulling the snmpapi.dll out of the \winnt\system32 directory and replacing the one in the BIN directory of IT Assistant.

Thanks

1 Message

August 7th, 2002 17:00

Hi,

The file I found to be v4.0 was in the c:\program files\dell\openmanage\it assistant\bin directory. I replaced that file with a 5.0 from c:\winnt\system32 and everything started. Since I'm replacing the Dell snmpapi.dll, I'm thinking the server would maintain stability but blow up the Dell stuff, which is where the problem is at already. I'll post if I encounter any issues from this fix.

-Greg

August 12th, 2002 16:00

As some others have posted, the problem is SNMPAPI.DLL in C:\Program Files\Dell\OpenManage\IT Assistant\bin, which is v4.0.1381.164 dated 5/1/2002 (assuming you have installed the latest v6.3 of IT Assistant). I simply deleted that file, which forces IT Assistant to use the one installed in C:\WINNT\System32, which is the new one installed by Windows 2000 SP3 (v5.0.2195.4874 dated 7/22/2002).

At first the IT Assistant interface gave an error. So I uninstalled all the OpenManage software from my computer (IT Assistant, Array Manager), re-booted, then did a clean install of those components using the v6.3 download from Dell's web site. When done, I deleted SNMPAPI.DLL from C:\Program Files\Dell\OpenManage\IT Assistant\bin, and re-booted. Now the boot-up error is gone, and IT Assistant works.

Message Edited on 08/12/02 12:37PM by Mike_Harris

1 Message

October 23rd, 2002 01:00

I found that it works without reinstall.  Just rename snmpapi.dll in IT Assistant\bin directory to, say snmpapi.dll.old, then copy SP3 version of snmpapi.dll from system32 directory into IT Assistant\bin directory and everything starts up just fine.

July 17th, 2003 20:00

I found this article when I had the same errors after installing IT assistant for the first time on a Server 2000 SP3 machine.  After copying the SNMPAPI.DLL from WINNT/system32 to the IT assistant BIN folder it worked for me as well.  Just wanted to let everyone know.

Thanks

Rob Q

23 Posts

November 20th, 2003 06:00

Just updated my PowerEdge 2400 server's Operating System to Windows 2000 SP4.  

Same issue occurred with IT Assistant.  Fix mentioned in earlier posts still works.  

99 Posts

November 20th, 2003 14:00

To resolve this problem upgrade IT assistant to version 6.4.4 rather than backreving the .dll

Message Edited by DELL-SeanC on 11-20-2003 04:56 PM

No Events found!