Highlighted
bcshort
2 Iron

Dell Server Manager VMware Plugin - Trap Community?

Hi All,

Reading through the documentation, it would appear that vSphere Alarms are generated by SNMP Traps being sent to the DSMVMP appliance. Whilst it is clear that you need to specify a destination IP for the traps, I cannot find anything about a specific trap community to send to in the documentation, nor is there any ability to set a trap community via the OMSA Managed Node.

Given where I work we do not use the default communities for SNMP, will this impact on the ability for the DSMVMP ability to receive traps? what community string should be used? can this be altered?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DELL-Matthew P
2 Bronze

RE: Dell Server Manager VMware Plugin - Trap Community?

It is public and unfortunatley we do not allow this to be modified. If you use the compliance wizard we wil install the right version of OMSA for you an configure it automatically. I'll share this feedback with the marketing team.

0 Kudos
bcshort
2 Iron

RE: Dell Server Manager VMware Plugin - Trap Community?

Hi Matthew,

The ability to configure Trap community would be good. Does the compliance wizard when installing OMSA append to the existing snmpd.conf on the host  to configure traps, or overwrite? appending would be good, overwriting not so good 🙂

I also note today with some issues we experienced that DSMVMP Alarms were generated by a machine that does not have SNMP traps configured to the appliance. Does this mean the alerts are being generated using some other protocol, such as IPMI or WS-Man?

Cheers

0 Kudos