Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2010 04:00

Dell Servers Drivers Update

Hi All,

We currently manage a range of Dell PowerEdge servers for our clients. I am in process of doing health checks on those systems. For this i need to know what are the driver versions which are currently installed on the server, and what are the version of drivers update.

I tried using Dell open manage and Dell online diagnostic utility. None of those were able to tell me installed versions of drivers and recommended updates for drivers.

Is there any other software utility from Dell which does that?

How can I achieve this?

Thanks

884 Posts

December 7th, 2010 11:00

Dell DVD ISO - Dell Server Updates

12 Posts

December 8th, 2010 05:00

Okay, Thanks

12 Posts

December 15th, 2010 03:00

This update utility is way too big, is there any other tool by Dell to achieve same thing? just the drivers bit only

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 15th, 2010 08:00

The large download will support nearly every Dell server shipped in the last 5 years, so it is handy if working with a variety of different models.  Other than that, you have only two options:

1.  Dell's Repository Manager - allows you to build an update utility for just the systems you choose, but it still must download the required files for those models ... can sometimes be faster to download SUU if you have very many different models.

2.  Download individual updates for each model to run separately.

12 Posts

December 15th, 2010 08:00

I am sorry, perhaps I have been unable to convey my question properly to you.

For now, I am not looking to update and apply patches for drivers.

Fow now, I just want to know that, which device driver versions are currently installed on servers, and what latest versions are available at the moment. Just a sort of a check thing. Nothing to implement, nothing to update for now.

thanks

793 Posts

December 16th, 2010 16:00

That Dell Server Updates disk that was posted above will do it, so will IT Assistant.

2 Posts

December 20th, 2010 06:00

OUTSTREAM,

Please advice on the model Number of the Servers.

The link someone replied you with must be because your question never specified any model number.

From my understanding, for some models; you may download utilities or updates as CD iso files or packages designed with the floppy media in mind :)

793 Posts

December 20th, 2010 16:00

The link provided was for the very generic update DVD.  That means that pretty much any currently supported Dell server will work with it.  Currently I think that covers most 8th generation servers and later.

12 Posts

December 21st, 2010 01:00

its just a different range of servers. As different clients have different servers. it all varies from PowerEdge 800 to PowerEdge 1600 or 2800 etc. So i was just looking for something generic that would work on all.

1.2K Posts

December 21st, 2010 03:00

Give Spiceworks a try, it's quite good at collecting inventories.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2010 05:00

I am afraid that you would have to consider the servers in question on a case by case basis.

I do  not think grouping them into one lot would help you in any practical way. - My Reason is the fact that some of them would not even read a DVD format media.

Also, the generational gap between some of the models.

Please do yourself a favour and seek solution for one server at a time, before you know it; you would take care of all.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 21st, 2010 08:00

You can try the Repository Manager ... I've yet to get it to work, but it's designed to build a custom repository for the systems you have.  Otherwise, you will have to download the Server Update Utility (SUU) that you said was "way too big" ... it's big because it supports all the systems you are looking for.  Ufe has a point that not all supported systems may have DVD drives, so it may be necessary to keep one with you to swap out for updates, although I think managing updates for a dozen or more different models individually is a bit extreme.

SUU can be run in conjuction with SMTD/SBUU as a bootable option for checking/updating firmware, but it can also be run from Windows to run driver and firmware updates from the OS.

Not all systems are supported by the latest SUU, but it will cover almost any server shipped since 2005.

743 Posts

January 4th, 2011 11:00

We use IT Assistant...Works well. Does a comparison between what you have and a repository, which you update from the Web.

Hth,

John Bradshaw

No Events found!