Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

6 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 09:00

Dell iDRAC9 racadm

Hello,

we are doing a lot of CentOS 7 server installation, running on iDRAC 9, we use the kickstart for installation, but after OS is installed on all of them we need to setup hostnames and IPs for each server manually, since there is no IP on the servers we can not run ansible playbook to automate it, but we have initially the IPs for each iDRAC and I believe there is the way to connect to iDRAC I am dnoIP and then setup the iDRAC to go to the OS, in that way the ansible playbook will be working,

does anybody know how to do it - to use iDRAC's racadm command or any others to setup the connection from iDRAC 9 to the OS level ?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 2nd, 2021 21:00

There is no racadm command to setup host hostname. We can view the host hostname on iDRAC. To configure hostname on server using iDRAC, you can launch virtual console from iDRAC and set the hostname manually through virtual console. To use virtual console on iDRAC we need Enterprise license

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 06:00

Hello,

I am not going to setup hostname by racadm command, I am trying to run any OS commands connecting from iDRAC's IP and going into OS - to run commands on the OS level by the script, The main question is:  how to run the commands on the OS by connecting to iDRAC's IP and from iDRAC to be redirected by serial connection into OS and run the commands on OS - NOT on iDRAC

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 4th, 2021 06:00

You can use Serial Over Lan (SOL) feature using iDRAC. For this we need to configure OS for serial redirection and perform certain configuration from BIOS and iDRAC. You can refer below link for details

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v4.x-series/idrac9_4.00.00.00_ug_new/communicating-with-idrac-using-ipmi-sol?guid=guid-669a0bc9-0aee-458d-9e27-aef2741f8c09&lang=en-us

Once configuration is done you can use ipmitool SOL or SSH to iDRAC IP and access serial of host operating system. 

6 Posts

April 5th, 2021 06:00

Thank you,

but in the links there are manual settings, I need to do it by racadm or the other iDRAC's commands, that can be used form ansible playbook, it needs to be fully automated, no user interruption.

how it can be done ?

6 Posts

April 5th, 2021 06:00

also, if you can provide the axect syntax of the commands, that would be great.

Thank you.

No Events found!