Shiviee
1 Copper

Re: DellEMC OpenManage Integration into Windows Admin Center not working

Hi,

Could you help us with below details to understand this issue better.

• What is the failure message.
  • Windows Admin Center and Dell EMC OpenManage extension versions
  • Any error in logs @ C:\windows\temp\omimswac of target node
  • iDRAC firmware version of the target node
  • What is the authentication mode to connect to target node from Windows Admin Center (Note : Specifying credentials while connecting by choosing "Manage As" is Dell EMC recommended authentication method)

Also, here are a few checks that may help the extension get working,

1. Required ports (443) are enabled for Domain in firewall configuration - against the table mentioned here

2. While connecting to the target node from Windows Admin Center, select "Manage As" and specify target node Administrator credentials

3. PowerShell execution policy (on target node) of the user used to connect to target node is not Restricted

4. Ensure the IPMI driver and service up and running. Refer details on issue identification and solution here.

Regards,
Shiv
Dell EMC OpenManage Integrations for Microsoft
0 Kudos
MSPUser
1 Copper

The link in #4 isn't working.

But I have the same problem.  Firewall is off on all interfaces, Execution policy is RemoteSigned, connecting as the local administrator account.  This is the second server in the last few weeks that we have had this problem, both brand new installs.

We would love to use the OMSA extension in WAC rather than go into iDRAC all the time but.....this does not seem to work properly out of the box.

0 Kudos
Shiviee
1 Copper

Hi,

Curious about your mention of "OMSA". OpenManage integration with Windows Admin Center is independent of OMSA or works in-band.

To narrow down on the failure point, could you help us with below details,

• What is the failure message.
  • Windows Admin Center and Dell EMC OpenManage integration versions (v1.0.1 just got released this week)
  • Any error in logs @ C:\windows\temp\omimswac of target node
  • iDRAC firmware version of the target node

Help if here if my understanding is wrong, issue occurred post addition of the target node to domain (was working when the target node was just part of WORKGROUP). With this specific information, could check if firewall outbound \ inbound rules are enabled for domain? refer image below :

clipboard_image_0.png

Regards,
Shiv
0 Kudos
Dell-TAP
1 Copper

On our system I found the error. It is that it is recommended for Hyper-Converged Cluster to deactivate the remote NDIS adapter in OS, but for Dell extension this interface is necessary, because it is the link to USB NIC. After activating this interface the Dell extension is able to display data in Windows Admin Center.

If you are on Server Core, then this may help:
$wmi = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -filter "Name LIKE '%Remote%'"
$wmi.enable()

Cheers
Werner 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tld212s
1 Copper

I can't get this to work for us either.  There are no logs in C:\Windows\Temp\omimswac (the folder is not even being created).  I have checked all the steps like the others.  If its not getting to the point of creating the folder, where or what should I check?

0 Kudos
Dell-TAP
1 Copper

If you did this command: $wmi = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -filter "Name LIKE '%Remote%'"

and the execute: $wmi

Is it empty? If no just execute $wmi.enable(), and test if you now can see the Remote NDIS Adapter with the command Get-NetAdapter

If it is empty, then you can try the following:

# Get InstanceID of NDIS Adapter
$hostname = 'YourServerName'
Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName 'Remote NDIS Compatible Device' | fl *

# use the value found above for InstanceID and enable NDIS Adapter
$InstanceID = 'USB\VID_413C&PID_A102\7&6540616&0&3'

Enable-PnpDevice -InstanceId $InstanceID -CimSession $hostname -Verbose -Confirm:$False

# execute Get-NetAdapter to check if Remote NDIS Adapter is available now, without this adapter integration in Windows Admin Center does not work. If you want you can rename this adapter:
Get-NetAdapter | ? InterfaceDescription -Like 'Remote*' | Rename-NetAdapter -NewName NDIS

If you use the Integration with Hyper-V converged system do not forget to disable this network for Cluster usage and clear the checkbox for 'Live Migration' on properties of Network in Failover Cluster Manager. 

0 Kudos
Shiviee
1 Copper

Hi,

Logs not being created seems to be a connection issue, would suggest to look at the below checks

• Authentication : Credentials specified (by selecting Manage As) are appropriate.
  • Port : Required firewall ports (inbound and outbound) are enabled.
  • PowerShell execution policy in target node is not "Restricted"

Could also you share us the information on scenario?

• OMIMSWAC and WAC versions
  • Error message for failure.
  • Server connection or cluster connection?
Regards,
Shiv
0 Kudos
tld212s
1 Copper

The first command returns nothing.  The second does not work as this is a Server 2012 R2 server.  This is also a physical machine.

0 Kudos
tld212s
1 Copper

I've checked the firewall, we keep SMB open in the local LAN already.  
Here is the execution policy:

Scope ExecutionPolicy
----- ---------------
MachinePolicy RemoteSigned
UserPolicy RemoteSigned
Process Undefined
CurrentUser Undefined
LocalMachine RemoteSigned

OMIMSWAC is 1.0.1 and WAC is 1910.  Error message is (I subbed out the servername) "Unable to communicate to target node <nodename> . The possible reasons for failure are: 1. Target node is currently being rebooted, or is powered-off. 2. Firewall is blocking communication through SMB port 445." 

This is just a server connection.  I did notice that it creates a "C:\temp\sme\dell-emc.openmanage-integration.1.0.1\node" folder path on the server I'm trying to manage with some files inside said directory:

installNode.ps1 (PowerShell script that just has Write-Host "Install Node" inside with a commented out SIG block), libcmtbmcapi.dll & WAC-C.exe.

I looked at WAC-C.exe and was able to get a log file using "wac-c.exe --logfile text.log -v -c" from an admin command prompt.  The item that stuck out in the log file was "[[2019-11-10T16:07:57] ][Information][15684]: [104]: ProcHandler-GetString:: Failed to fetch S key with error message [Get size of string value failed.] as errorcode - 2."  

I hope this info helps.

0 Kudos
Dell-TAP
1 Copper

I try it again, Do you have a "Remote NDIS Adapter" NIC in your system and is it activated?
This is mandatory because USB of iDRAC uses this one for communication with localhost.

0 Kudos