Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2014 06:00

Do Dell network-enabled UPS units require SNMP to shut down servers?

We have several Dell 2700w UPS units in the environment that I have just taken over.  Several of them do not have network management cards and I am investigating the possibility of adding them.

However, I have a concern.  I have been informed by others who use these units that in order to actually set up servers with them for graceful shutdown, they (and the network) must be configured to do it through SNMP.  Is this still the case?  I'm not using SNMP in our environment, and alternate products do not require this.  This question not only determines whether I would look into purchasing said network management cards, but whether I would be purchasing Dell (albeit, now Eaton it appears) UPS units in the future.

If someone with experience with these units could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

990 Posts

April 1st, 2014 14:00

PrepIT,

The UPS network management cards do not require SNMP to be running for them to function.  I just reviewed the card setup and its not a requirement.  SNMP can be used, but its not a requirement.  We also checked our lab environment to confirm.

Here is a link to the User's Guide : ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_rack_infrastructure/dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-2700r_User's%20Guide14_en-us.pdf

Regards,

No Events found!