Highlighted
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

E-Mail Alerting - iDRAC7 - Gmail

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get email alerting to work with iDRAC7, however my test emails fail right away.

In our environment, we have a couple of NAS devices which have email alerting.  I set them to use port 587 and I enable TLS.  I also use a gmail (smtp.gmail.com) as the mail server.  This works just fine with my NAS devices.

I would like to use this same gmail account for iDRAC email alerts.  I have enabled alerts and enabled authentication.  I assume that port 587 will be used?

Has anyone gotten email alerts to work with a gmail account?

I did some research and played a bit with the domain name and dns name, however I have had no luck (in common settings).  I have two DNS servers inputted in the network settings.  I also tried just putting the ip address of smtp.gmail.com as the mail server instead of the name to try and take DNS out of the equation.

Port 587 is definitely open on our firewall.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies

RE: E-Mail Alerting - iDRAC7 - Gmail

Jump to solution

Though its not a supported option using gmail,  someone may have figured how to make it work.  I would check the DNS settings to make sure you have forwarding to gmail from the iDRAC.  Our recommendation,however,  is to use an internal smtp server for your iDRAC email purposes, and then you can launch it to any email address you choose.  The reason behind it is  that you can track, monitor and diagnose your issue if its internal. If you go directly to gmail,  you are unable to diagnose any issues. 

If you continue to have issues with setting it up, please contact Dell Technical Support and request OpenManage support so they can open a case and troubleshoot with you.

Regards,

Geoff P
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device!
(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Geoff,

Thanks for taking time to reply.  The reason I am trying to use gmail is because we do not have an internal smtp server, as we simply use gmail here for our domain email.

You mentioned to check DNS to make sure it could forward to gmail.  What exactly do you mean by this?

I have two DNS servers configured (one internal, one OpenDNS).  I even tried putting the IP of the gmail SMTP instead of the name just in case there were any DNS issues.

After doing some research, I read that others tried changing the DNS DRAC Name and the Static DNS Domain Name in Common settings.  I modified both of these to try and recreate the send from address.  For instance, I changed the DNS Domain Name to our domain.com to try and get the proper Send From address - however this did not work either.  There really aren't too much options in the interface from what I have seen, so I am guessing that it just may not be possible. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Your DNS servers need to be able to forward to gmail.com by name. There are 1000's of gmail.com servers, so using an IP address is not a viable option because at any given time, that IP address could change. The local DNS should have forwarders set up to point to the gmail domain. 

Regards,

Geoff P
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device!
(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sorry, I misunderstood you.  I have tried configuring the IDRAC to use our internal DNS servers, which do have forwarders set up.  All machines in our network use these same DNS servers to get out to the internet - so there should be no problem with name resolution.  The NAS devices we have (which alerting works on) use these same DNS servers with no issues, as I simply configured them to use smtp.gmail.com

0 Kudos
Buceyes
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue with a new setup. No internal SMTP server so I need to send to gmail or yahoo smtp servers. I believe in our case Verizon DSL blocks port 25 traffic and requires port 584.  Is there a way to get the SMTP to use something other than port 25?

0 Kudos
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I found this white paper from Dell which mentions that when the Enable Authentication box is checked, TLS is used:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20290631.aspx

I would assume this would mean that port 465 (TCP) would be used.  This is the same port I use for alerting with my NAS devices.

Just not sure why the Dell alerting isn't working.

0 Kudos
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I found this white paper from Dell which mentions that when the Enable Authentication box is checked, TLS is used:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20290631.aspx

I would assume this would mean that port 587 (TCP) would be used.  This is the same port I use for alerting with my NAS devices.

Just not sure why the Dell alerting isn't working.

0 Kudos
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I actually found a workaround that I wanted to share.

I configured an internal SMTP relay server in Server 2012 to forward emails to the gmail server.

http://fmuntean.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/how-to-configure-iis-smtp-server-to-forward-emails-using-a-...

This way, port 25 can be used internally (iDRAC to relay server) and port 587 TLS can be used to send out to Gmail (relay server to smtp.gmail.com).

0 Kudos
StevenFL02
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I wanted to share a workaround which I am using.  I have now been able to receive email alerts from my iDRAC7s.

I set up an internal SMTP relay server in Server 2012. 

How it works: Port 25 is used from the iDRAC to the internal SMTP server and port 587 TLS is used from the internal SMTP server to smtp.gmail.com

http://fmuntean.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/how-to-configure-iis-smtp-server-to-forward-emails-using-a-...

0 Kudos