Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2012 19:00

Easiest way to deploy BIOS updates and configurations with SCCM 2010

We are a small school district and just starting to feel the need for centralized updates and configurations of our Dell systems. We use SCCM 2007 R3 (I have not yet played with SCUP) and I am fairly proficient with PowerShell. Per policy, our teachers do not have admin rights.

It seems like there a number of tools for this kind of thing (CTK, OMCI), but I have a couple of very urgent issues with a new fleet of Latitude e5420 laptops and need to know the most efficient way to solve these:

1. I need to apply new BIOS settings en masse in order to force the wireless to turn off when the laptops are plugged into the LAN;
  2. We have a major issue with the cursor jumping around when teachers accidentally bump the touchpad, so I need to be able to push out a Dell update (R315893) through SCCM (I don't see command-line switches for these .exe's);
  3. I'd like to be able to quickly apply BIOS updates and other drivers/applications as we go along.
Can anyone point me to step-by-step examples for scenarios similar to those I listed? Thanks!

29 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 10:00

1.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 11:00

For teh BIOS settings, use a CCTK Self Contained Executable (SCE) to set any number of BIOS settings on any Dell system. More info at en.community.dell.com/.../1952.dell-client-configuration-toolkit.aspx

For BIOS updates and driver updates, then you need to get busy with SCUP since you have ConfigMgr in place.  Start at the link below.

en.community.dell.com/.../dell-updates-catalogs.aspx

No Events found!