Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2012 18:00

[FYI] [FIX] The updates you are trying to apply are not Dell-authorized updates

If you try to use the F10 Platform Updates option in System Services to update firmware, but get the following error:  "The updates you are trying to apply are not Dell-authorized updates"

FIX:  Make sure your server is running a minimum firmware revision for the following two items:

• iDRAC – at least revision 1.85 or newer
  • Lifecycle Controller – at least revision 1.5.2 or newer

***The current Lifecycle Controller Repair package will NOT resolve the  issue, as it only updates the LFC to version 1.5.1, which is too old.

The iDRAC is easily updated by using the “Update” option in the iDRAC webpage interface.

The Lifecycle Controller can (as of 11/9/12) only be updated in a Windows or Linux environment.  For  ESXi users, you can boot to OMSA Live and apply the LFC .bin update via command line.  Or create a Linux bootable Repository Manager utility.  You CANNOT simply create a custom repository and point the System Services to it.  That won’t work.

Or you can boot to the SBUU/SUU combo, but I have not yet verified if that works.

1 Message

November 28th, 2012 01:00

ok with SBUU/SUU combo. I've used:

cdu_2.1_core_339.iso

OM_710_SUU_FULL_ISO_A00.iso

with success..

4 Posts

January 7th, 2013 21:00

We've spent the better part of two days trying to update the Lifecycle Manager on our R710's with no success.  As ESXi users, we're gobsmacked a seeming independent system OS now relies on Windows (native) or Linux (native) to update.  We're now faced with having to mess about with Live CD's just to do something that used to "just work" prior to September 2012.  Needless to say, we're less than excited.

January 8th, 2013 09:00

Edited 6/17/13 to update firmware links to newest versions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To update the firmware on your server to the latest versions, you'll first need to update two individual components.  The iDRAC and System Services.

1) Configure your iDRAC for Internet Access (skip to step 2 if this is already done).

a) Reboot server

b) Press CTRL+E during POST when you get the option

c) Scroll down to "LAN Paramenters"

d) Scroll down to IPV4 configuration

e) Configure it for a static IP address

f) Escape all the way out and save your changes

2) Connect to the iDRAC's IP address from Firefox or Chrome (IE often does not work well for these steps due to a 'file upload' issue).

3) Click on "iDRAC" from the left menu.

4) Click on "Update" from the right/top menu.

5) Point the update process to this file:  BDF_1.5.5_BIN-12.usc

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00502596M/1/BDF_1.5.5_BIN-12.usc

6) Allow the update process to begin and finish (takes 5-10 minutes).

7) Now update the iDRAC itself.  Download this file:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01270825M/1/iDRAC6_1.95_A00_FW_IMG.exe

a) Extract the file

8) Point the update process to the .d6 file extension you extracted.

9) Allow the update process to begin and finish (takes 10-20 minutes).

10) Now you can use all the normal methods to update the remaining firmware on the server.

January 8th, 2013 09:00

You no longer need a Windows or Linux environmen to update the Lifecycle Controller (LCC).  Dell has released a Lifecycle Controller update package that can be applied via the iDRAC web interface.  Please see my second post for more info.

January 8th, 2013 12:00

Sorry, here is the most recvent Lifecycle Controller f/w file.  Use this one instead of the BDF_1.5.0_BIN-25_A00.usc file listed above.

ftp.dell.com/.../BDF_1.5.5_BIN-12.usc

7 Posts

January 10th, 2013 08:00

Hi Eddie,

Could you re post your latest link?  I cannot download the file.  Thanks!

7 Posts

January 10th, 2013 09:00

That might work.

Eddie,

Can you confirm that file is the correct one?

January 10th, 2013 09:00

January 10th, 2013 10:00

Hi Alestan.  Yes, R.Scottie.Cameron posted the correct file!  

Yea, but I had to run it three or four times for it to work, and then my Dell Repository SuuImage.iso STILL would not work. However, now if i feed the BIOS update from another mounted ISO, it works where it hadn't before.

It's progress, circular, but it's progress. But, we're making good time...

I've seen a lot of problems trying to update the iDRAC and LCC controller firmware when using Internet Explorer 9.  I've had the best results when using Firefox.  Much quicker and less security configuration is needed to make it work.

If all you want to do is update the BIOS, then the quickest method I've found is to download a bootable DOS disk and put the "hard drive" or "non-packaged" (.exe) version of the update onto it.  Boot to that and run the BIOS filename from DOS and it quickly updates the BIOS without any hassle.  

I use the "hard drive" version of Dell's "32bit Diagnostics Utility" to create my bootable DOS CD's or thumb drives.

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r710

It takes two minutes + reboot times.

7 Posts

January 10th, 2013 11:00

Great! Thanks!

1 Message

February 19th, 2013 13:00

For anyone else who is unable to run the LC USC file from the IDRAC firmware update, try powering the server off first.  This seems to be the only way I could 100% complete the LC update on an R910.

Whilst the server was running it would only get to 10% and then fail... very frustrating!  Thanks to this post though for pointing me in the right direction.  I'm no longer seeing the "not Dell authorized updates" message.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2013 08:00

I have a T410 server that has an older version (1.70) of iDRAC6 *before* version 1.85 - " Change to Certificate Chain to ensure continued ability to make updates" - and I'm having this same problem, but I can't get the web method described to work either.   Finally figured it out and was able to follow Eddie Walton's instructions!  Although, once I got iDRAC updated to v1.95, I couldn't login again with Firefox, just got stuck on the verifying credentials.  (I got in with Chrome though, so I know it was working.)  Anyway, at that point, I booted back to the USC and was able to download and update everything else that before was giving me that  "not Dell-authorized updates" error.  Quite the catch-22 they have there, real nice.

June 17th, 2013 13:00

I've updated the thread with links to the latest versions of the firmware files.  The LCC was just updated by Dell about a week ago.  

Also, if anyone gets stuck uploading the firmware files to the iDRAC (where the upload just hangs forever), you can try rebooting the iDRAC.  You do this by removing power cables from server for two minutes.  Or you can connect to the iDRAC via putty/SSH and run the command "racadm racreset".  The iDRAC will be available to log into again within 10-20 minutes.  

You can download putty at the link below.  You open it and type the iDRAC IP address and click on connect.  Then log into the iDRAC with your regular iDRAC credentials.

www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/.../download.html

No Events found!