Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 8th, 2005 14:00

Forum Gone to Sleep, and ITA through ISA Server

Hello everyone... Anyone???
There doesn't seem to be many Dell bods available to help us at the moment, which is a shame as this is where support send us when they can't answer our questions. Oh well, here's hoping...

Has anyone had any joy getting IT Assistant to discover servers running ISA Server? I have a few Small Business Servers I want to monitor, the ones without ISA are fairly easy, but the ISA ones I'm having difficulty with. Any thoughts?

Thanks

John

626 Posts

March 8th, 2005 15:00

Hmm, I've never used ISA server but I'll try to find a copy and try it out. But in the meantime, here are a few things you can check on, not sure if it will help though...

1. Install the latest version of OMSA on the system(I don't think this is supported on ISA server but maybe it will install? not sure..)
2. Make sure the SNMP read community matches on the ITA management station and on the ISA box that needs to be discovered
3. Make sure that the SNMP service on the ISA server accepts SNMP packets from any host or from the IP address of your ITA management station

9 Posts

March 8th, 2005 15:00

Hi Tester25,
I have configured SNMP correctly I think. And Server Administrator is correctly installed and functioning. My problem is that the servers have two cards, with ISA server and the MS firewall runnning in between the two. The only services available on the external card are web and email related. I have configured the MS firewall to pass UDP and TCP 161, but don't know what I'm supposed to do (if anything) to ISA. I believe that the problem is with ISA as I have a similar server up and running perfectly with the same configuration, but no ISA server installed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

John

March 8th, 2005 16:00

can you ping the management server - i.e. is there a route back to you management station - i have never used isa but usually on firewalls your default route is the external router to the internet? also have you tried disconnecting from the internet and then completely opening the firewall up (everything allowed) just to see if its a port blocking issue.

Jon

99 Posts

March 13th, 2005 09:00

IT Assistant ports used
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smitasst/6.5.3/en/ref_gd/portlist.htm

Running IT Assistant Behind a Firewall
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smitasst/6.5.3/en/ug/5secure.htm#1052202
No Events found!