Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2022 08:00

How to boot to virtual CD with Redfish API interface

I am able to boot the server manually by setting up "Remote File Share", "Next Boot (Virtual CD/DVD/ISO)". From the virtual console during the reboot, it displays"... Boot to virtual CD requested ....".

But I have problem achieving it via Redfish API interface because "CD, DVD, USB" are the only available media types: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac8-lifecycle-controller-v2.70.70.70/idrac8_redfishapiguide_2.70.70.70/virtualmedia?guid=guid-d9e76cf6-627d-4cb9-a3de-3f2b88b74cfb&lang=en-us

When I run the scripts, from the virtual console it says "... Boot to CD/DVD drive requested ....". 

I found Python script SetNextOneTimeBootVirtualMediaDeviceOemREDFISH.py but it is not what we plan to do. We would like to do: power off server, set virtual media (ISO URL), set boot source to virtual CD/DVD, power on server. Wonder if it is possible with only CD/DVD/USB options are available on Redfish interface.

Thank you.

• 

3.4K Posts

April 13th, 2022 03:00

Hello,

as far I know the Cd for OverrideTargets is not the VirtualCD.

I don't see the option to boot with virtual media, unless UefiTarget but you need to specify the entire path.

Thanks

Marco

• 

8.4K Posts

April 12th, 2022 13:00

Lianzx,

If you make a POST to the following 

/redfish/v1/Dell/Systems/System.Embedded.1/DellOSDeploymentService/Actions/DellOSDeploymentService.BootToNetworkISO

it will mount it for a time, then you can reboot and unless you are needing to bypass an OS or something, it will boot to it.

Now if you do need to set the next boot device you can do so by performing a PATCH against

/redfish/v1/Systems/System.Embedded.1

with the payload {"Boot":{"BootSourceOverrideTarget":"Cd"}

Let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

April 12th, 2022 15:00

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I assume I need to set up "Remote File Share" before doing the following, right?

/redfish/v1/Dell/Systems/System.Embedded.1/DellOSDeploymentService/Actions/DellOSDeploymentService.BootToNetworkISO

Is it possible to set up "Remote File Share" by Redfish API interface?

Another question is about your below comments:

"set the next boot device you can do so by performing a PATCH against /redfish/v1/Systems/System.Embedded.1 with the payload {"Boot":{"BootSourceOverrideTarget":"Cd"}". 

I am a little confused about "Cd". Is it referring to a physical CD or virtual CD? Our current scripts do set the boot source to "CD" but it ends up booting from the physical CD which is not what we want. We need to boot from virtual CD. Thanks.

1 Message

July 4th, 2022 11:00

Hi,
We used automation via redfish to mount Virtua CD to mount the installation iso and boot via PXE.

It failed to PXE boot with the redfish json as:

rbaybaya_0-1656958143238.png

Regards,

Ruel

• 

8.4K Posts

July 4th, 2022 13:00

Rbaybaya,

As Marco pointed out, I don't think there is an option to do so with Virtual Media.

Let me research the issue to see if I can confirm that or not.

No Events found!