Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

December 29th, 2014 06:00

How to clear PowerEdge 2950 error message: I1912 SEL full

I have a PE2950 that's currently giving the i1912 SEL full message.  Is there a way to clear that without rebooting the server?  If this server has an iDRAC card, it's probably not configured or even plugged into the network.  Maybe a command line tool for RHEL5 that can clear it?

Thanks for the help.

• 

8.4K Posts

December 29th, 2014 08:00

With RHEL 5 installed you can install OMSA (OpenManage Server Admin) without a reboot. You can find the 32 and 64bit version here -

OMSA 32bit - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=5CYWP

OMSA 64bit - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=Y0P85

Chose the one that fits your need and then let me know how it goes.

126 Posts

It appears I don't have that installed on my server.  Is there a way to install just the CLI stuff so I can run that command?

Will this also let me see what's in the log or can that only be done when the server is restarted?

• 

8.4K Posts

Rjo80,

Normally this is an issue when you have a piece of hardware causing constant errors, which ends up filling the logs. With RHEL, if you have Open Manage installed you can run the following:

omconfig system esmlog action=clear

omconfig can be found in /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/

So you can just run this command and then it is clear.

# /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/omconfig system esmlog action=clear

After clearing. recheck the log to see what error is actually occurring. If it is a dimm, which is likely, power down and swap it with another location and then see if the error follows the dimm or the slot.. If it follows, then you know the dimm is to blame.

Let me know what you see. 

• 

8.4K Posts

December 29th, 2014 10:00

Rjo80,

If you are only wanting it to clear the logs then you would want to select 1,2,3 and 7. If you are wanting to actually use the OMSA GUI to manage and monitor the server as well, then you would also include 4,and 6. 

126 Posts

December 29th, 2014 10:00

Great, thanks.  Which one of these options do I need to pick in order to clear that log.

[ ] 1. Server Instrumentation
    [ ] 2. Storage Management
    [ ] 3. Remote Access Core Components
    [ ] 4. Remote Access SA Plugin Components
    [ ] 5. Remote Enablement Interface
    [ ] 6. Server Administrator Web Server Interface
    [ ] 7. Server Administrator CLI Interface
    [ ] 8. Server Administrator SNMP Interface
    [ ] 9. Server Administrator Operating System Log Interface
    [ ] 10. All

126 Posts

December 29th, 2014 11:00

Great, thanks.  Think I'm all set now with the log stuff then.  Although I'm not sure if there is a way to read the log now that's it's cleared while still booted.

So would one of those options also let me configure the iDRAC card (if one exists in the server) from the CLI while the server is booted?

• 

8.4K Posts

December 29th, 2014 13:00

Yes, with OMSA installed you can configure the iDrac via the Racadm commands. You can find information on the Drac configuration here - http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN85572/en

This link will go over the different forms of Racadm - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3205.racadm-command-line-interface-for-drac/revision/28

Many of the commands needed will be like these (for example)

racadm getconfig -g cfgLanNetworking
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicIpAddress 172.x.x.x
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicNetmask 255.255.255.0
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgNicGateway 172.x.x.7
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSServer1 172.x.x.6
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSServer2 172.x.x.5
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSRacName ServerName-DRAC
racadm config -g cfgLanNetworking -o cfgDNSDomainName corp.company.com
Which can also be broken down to this 
racadm getniccfg
racadm setniccfg –s 172.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 172.x.x.5
etc. etc.
Let me know if this helps.

126 Posts

December 30th, 2014 06:00

Thanks!

So is there actually a way for me to read the log file from my original question via the CLI now that I installed that stuff?  Or is that only available when you reboot.

1 Message

January 11th, 2015 14:00

J'ai la même question

126 Posts

January 12th, 2015 05:00

OK, so no way via the CLI then.  Thanks!

• 

8.4K Posts

January 12th, 2015 05:00

The hardware log will be displayed in the OpenManage Server Admin GUI, it is located under System-Log. From there you can view, export, or print the log as well.

• 

8.4K Posts

January 12th, 2015 08:00

You can with the Racadm Getraclog command. You can find out the guidelines and flags here - http://bit.ly/1xQp2Pk

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 18th, 2015 01:00

It is free or not?

Thks

No Events found!