Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2008 02:00

IT Assistant 5.5 - Software Updates issue

Hi Everyone,

When I click on Manage --> Software Updates (Ctrl+u) my system just sits there and times out... I have played with user timeout settings etc restarted everything under the sun but still have the same issue.

Is there any way I can resolve this without having to delete the repositories? (cause i don't want to download them all again)

Thanks,

Stuart

26 Posts

October 15th, 2008 11:00

Have you checked your java runtime parameters (-Xmx256M). I have to add this every time i update java on my system (the one you connect to ITAssistant from)

16 Posts

October 15th, 2008 15:00

I had to add -Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=true -Xmx256M to my Java Runtime Parameters in order to get this to work on my Vista box.  The timeout issue is fixed, but I the Online Repository fails to import every time.

26 Posts

October 15th, 2008 19:00

Are you opening IE from the win2k3 server or from your PC. I have had the same issue before and found that I could open the Software Updates screen from other pcs. That is when I found out about the java mem config and put that on to my pc. I have not had a problem since adding the java memory option, except that it is still slower than other screens

132 Posts

October 15th, 2008 19:00

Hiya,

Yep I have set the java memory config... it is running on a Win2003R2 server... I have logged a call with Dell and sent them a DSET report, if they find an answerr i will post it here... 

Even before this timeout issue, I always found that going to the software updates screen took more time than other screens...

Have a great day, 
Stuart 
No Events found!