Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TP

September 29th, 2005 15:00

IT Assistant from 3.8 to 4.4

About 18 months ago I was running IT Assistant with some great results.  This was version 3.8 released in May 2004.  I was on a Precision 420 with 2000 Server SP4.  The IT Assistant html interface performed slowly on my machine, but once I learned to navigate the windows I could inventory all of my machines.  I could remotely shut down my machines.  I could see when hard disks were full.  These were useful features.

Now I'm running OpenManage 4.4 on a PowerEdge, this is a remarkable improvement over last year,  unfortunately, all I get from IT Assistant is a client's IP Address.  I don't see temperature indicators, bios version, or any useful info of that nature.  I can't shutdown or view hard disk alerts.  What's going on?

Is this my failure to deal with WMI correctly?  Or is the new software limited?

36 Posts

October 11th, 2005 17:00

I'm not giving up on it yet, but by all appearances the "new" IT Assistant is limited. Maybe some Dell reps should chime in here and tell us just why we should want to use this. Has anyone at Dell ever seen Compaq(HP) Insight Manager? I haven't used it in a few years, but it was light years ahead of OM/ITA. Simple setup. Simple to maintain. Extensible. FREE. If it weren't for a few SNMP implementation choices Dell made, the Compaq(HP) software was almost better at managing Dells than OM/ITA
No Events found!