Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 28th, 2007 12:00

IT assistant softwar update

Hi all,
i'm new here so firt hi to all:smileywink:
i have installed the Dell IT Assistant on a 2003 Server. i trie now to update a server with software updates. but i got every time a error idicates "The task faild for the target device" SNMP is correct and the IT Assistant can comunicate with the server.
can somebody help me please :mansad:

58 Posts

November 28th, 2007 13:00

SNMP is usually the issue. Make sure the trap and security tab are configured with a community name . Also you will need to change the Java heap size . Just follow the link below to set the heap size.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2007 10:00

Hi JamesSz

thanks for your Help. i did the following : set the SNMP traps to read and write with the comunity names. edit the Java settings how described. i did the troubleshooting and every thing is ok.
any idea ?:smileymad:

Thanks

291 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 07:00

Go to the task Execution Logs tab, then select the log in top and then the log detail that failed in middle table. Observe the Details of the error message in teh bottom pane (3rd pane below the tables). What does it say? Could you let us know. Usually it provides some clue, like user authentication issue or something like that.

Common causes for software update tasks failing are firewall/anti-virus software or incorrect user privileges. Make sure you are specifying a user-name that has administrative access on the managed system and the user-id is fully qualified like (domain\username or host\username, not just "username" ). If the managed server (which you are trying to perform software updates on) is a Linux system, make sure SSH goes through without problem.

(I'd rule out SNMP communication issues at this point of time, else the server would not have got discovered and classified under the "Servers" group in the first place. If that is happening, ITA is able to recognize the server without any problems. Again usually BIOS upgrade is quite less likely to help in software update task failing - the usual problems are with managed system authentication).

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 09:00

Hi OMNavigator,
thanks for your helpfull information. i checkt the logs and it says
  • execution status: Faild
  • execution summary: the task faild for the target device.
  • overal agent status: software update complete. update package faild during execution.

when i run the trubleshooter all tests are green. i used full quallified names for authentication. we do not use Linux. the firewall is disabled on the system.

thx much for your help !!!:smileywink:

No Events found!