Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 28th, 2004 13:00

ITA Discovery never completes. freezes at 99%

I am using IT Assistant version 6.5 BLD_65061.  I have it installed on three servers (PE2650, PE2200 and PE4400) and four workstations (OptiplexGX270, OptiplexSX270, OptiplexGX150 and a Dimension2350.)  On every installed machine the network discovery gets to 99% complete and seems to hang there for days at a time.  Each machine is scheduled to perform a scheduled discovery every four hours and a status poll every hour.  Although the discovery feedback indicates that the last discovery got to 99% complete and just stops.  Left alone for several days the discovery never runs again until I do a forced discovery, or reboot the system.

I've adjusted the range of each discovery range, I've deleted some ranges altogether, I've done discovery strictly on machine names, no matter what I do it hangs on the last range it got to at 99%.  I've got some machines that only discover a single range, they hang on that range.  I've updated SNMP on the ITA machines, and I've uninstalled and re-installed all of the OpenManage software.

(I use ITA on the desktops merely for wake on lan in the different subnets.)

Is this a known problem?  Is there a fix or patch?

March 11th, 2004 11:00

Am I really the only person having this problem?  Is there any support for this application beyond this forum?

2 Posts

March 30th, 2004 20:00

Having the same issues and currently have not been able to find a solution.

March 31st, 2004 09:00

Thanks, at least I'm not alone.  Does Dell offer any support for an application that they had written for thier own products?

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2004 15:00

I ran into this issue as well.  I noticed that the descovery details indicated that it was attempting to descover a particular machine, and apparently it was not proceding as it should.

Althought I don't have what I would call a solution, I do have a work around:

1. Perform a discovery

2. Take a look to see what IP is holding up the progress.

3. Add that IP to the exclusion list in the discovery range.

Unfortunately, if you are using DHCP, you'll have to closely manage this IP.  Maybe you'll get lucky and this will be a machine that has a static address.

I hope this help.

Reffup

April 2nd, 2004 16:00

Thanks for the thoughts, but in my case it almost never freezes in the same place twice.  It will freeze in different ranges even, I have 32 different ranges defined.  Only seven of those are the entire subnet of that range.  Most are a specified range of workstations that are our workstations.  Several times I just deleted the ranges one by one that caused it to lock up, but after a while I was no longer doing any discoveries at all.  I have moved the application from machine to machine, but the problem goes shows up on new machines within a few hours.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2004 17:00

Another odd occurance that is not cropping up... besides sticking at the 99%, now the IT Assistant is adding in undiscovered systems bases on IP that no computers are assigned too and I also have 30 duplicate entries.   The duplicate entries are showing up as .domain.pri which I assume means that the intrumented discovery had issues to it switched over to dns to contact said machine?  No clue as too why when they were discovered and happy the day before and we've not had any network issues.
No Events found!