Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2008 02:00

ITA manage IBM Servers ?

HI, I'm Nouki from Japan. I use Openmanage dell servers in my company.
Above I understand ITA manage HP servers.
Can ITA manage IBM and other vendor's Servers??

342 Posts

November 17th, 2008 08:00

Yes, that is the reason for this page, to point out some resources that will help you manage and monitor other vendors x86 servers. The papers in the references section of this page will be of the most help.

In a nutshell, ITA uses industry standard protocols, so systems that communicate with SNMP, and IPMI can usually be managed/monitored.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 11:00

The key factor is being able to get a copy of the IBM System Management SNMP MIB definition (or whatever you are managing), and compile the TRAP definition file that the InportEventSources.exe program is looking for.

I haven't found an easy way to do this. It requires a bit of hand massaging the data and making some judgment calls on how to categorize the event (Unknown, Information, OK, Warning, Critical).

We have successfully added SNMP event source data for MGE UPS'es.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 23:00

Thank you very much!! But I have a question.
I understand that I have to import IBM SNMP MIB tables with InportEventSources.exe program when ITA manage IBM servers.
In this case, Is SNMP agent of IBM serveres IBM's management software (Director agent)??

342 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 09:00

The SNMP agent is built into the Operating System, in the case of Windows it's just another server that you enable/disable/configure in the Services section.

The IBM Director Agent uses a proprietary protocol and will not talk to the ITA server. You just have to enable SNMP on the machine you want to monitor. There is a good video how-to located here --> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/entvideos/configuringsnmp_v2?c=us&cs=rc957239&l=en&s=gen
No Events found!